1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Not necessarily true. I've lived in Boston through school and for the last 5 years.

If you want to live in the city (Backbay, Newbury Street, etc.) then yes, cost of living is probably $3,000+ for a 1 bedroom. But in the surrounding areas you can find some solid one bedrooms under $1,700.

I currently live in Quincy with my girlfriend in a 2-br around $1,600. Only 5 minutes from city.

But as someone said before, I think the position might be more remote than anything else.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The ad says the position is based in Boston. I doubt you're living in Springfield and traveling 90 miles each way to an event.

They have at least one Boston-based news reporter. I honestly don't know of anyone in the Boston area who goes to Masslive as their first site for local news, but they're trying to make inroads.

3. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

Depends where you live. I'm in Brighton and you can make less than that and be fine. I'm single, have no kids and 23 though, so I may be in different shoes than some of you.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Whatever. Whether it's an editor or an HR person, it's still inappropriate.

5. SportsWriter23

SportsWriter23 New Member

I know it's early, but has anyone got a response (email, phone call, anything?) on this?

6. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

Nothing, yet.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd love to apply for this, if not for the lack of a degree. Know what I was doing 20 years ago while my classmates were going off to university? I was already working at a daily newspaper. To hell with HR departments.

8. ETN814

ETN814 Member

I'm guessing it will take some time.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good grief. I realize large cities offer a wider range of options and the really upscale apartment communities can get pricey. I hope what you quoted was high-end rather than average.

10. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Well, those areas I pointed out were areas in the heart of the city.

Of course you can go around the area for much cheaper, however, quality takes a deep dive. Price of living in Boston and surrounding areas has jumped every year.

I remember my freshman year of college (2007), I had a 1 bedroom for 1,500 in Dorchester (2 mins from Boston). Now, that same complex is offering 1 bedrooms for $2,100.

Crazy.

11. SportsWriter23

SportsWriter23 New Member

Pardon the impatience, any update on this thing yet?

12. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

Heard back from the Editor. He is still accepting resumes. He said that he hopes to start the interview process next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted