1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Bogalusa, LA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianMcDowell, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

From J Jobs:

Company: The Daily News
    Position: Sports Reporter needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: April 7, 2010
    Job ID: 1055377

Description:
    The Bogalusa Daily News, a three-times-a-week newspaper, is looking for a sports reporter for position opening in June. The best applicant will have a complete knowledge of all sports and sports terminology as well as full knowledge of AP style. Good spelling and grammar skills are a must. Previous journalism education/experience preferred but not required. Should know QuarkXpress and have photography experience. Ability to learn quickly, multitask, self start and maintain good community relations a must. Please include references and writing samples with resume. Resumes may be emailed sandy.cunningham@wickcommunications.com

2. bl67550

bl67550 Member

This is pretty close to New Orleans, wonder if there's any Saints or Hornets coverage. That'd be a cool gig if so.

3. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

How close is this to New Orleans? Is it a decent place to live?

4. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

70-75 miles from New Orleans. very much in the sticks. you can read all about it (up to 1950) here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mcclendon/Bogalusa/Bogalusa%20Story/BogalusaStory-with-photos.html

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Somehow, I think that would have been in the ad. Not sure, though.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

This is probably the fourth time this job has come open in the past two years. Do a search and you'll see why this job stays open.

To answer earlier questions, doubtful that you cover Saints or Hornets very much.

7. dracula

dracula New Member

Three-times-a-week newspaper seems a little sketchy.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Stagger, I concur.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Smells like paper mills.

10. Bogalusa, La.: Hometown of Charlie Spikes, who hit 23 homers as a rookie right fielder with the Cleveland Indians in 1973.

11. That line about maintaining good community relations makes me suspect that if the high school's QB throws four interceptions in a narrow loss, you'd best either leave it out of your story or at least put it far down in the text. Wouldn't want to upset anyone with facts.

12. bwright

bwright Member

This is my job. I'd be happy to answer any questions about it. Drop me an e-mail at wbwright1@gmail.com.

Generally, I've been very happy with this job (I started last July fresh out of college). From my vantage point, there are really two drawbacks:
    1: Printing only three times weekly is obviously not ideal for sports coverage.
    2: The town stinks. Then again, after 6 months I hardly noticed it.

There are 5 public high schools in the parish and 2 private schools that compete in the Mississippi league (Washington Parish is bordered on two sides by Mississippi).

It's about an hour to New Orleans barring traffic. Typically 1:15 or so.

All Saints and Hornets coverage is AP.

There's good football here, most of it played by 4A powerhouse Franklinton. There's also some not-so-good football.

Draft saved Draft deleted