1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Bloomington Herald-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

We are seeking a full-time, multi-platform sports reporter who will cover primarily high school sports and assist
    with Indiana University sports coverage in The Herald-Times, HeraldTimesOnline.com and HoosiersHQ.com.

The position will also involve designing sports pages and updating our Web site. We are seeking an aggressive, innovative reporter who will break news and take readers behind the scenes. We are looking for enterprise, hard news and alternative ways of telling people stories in the
    newspaper and online.

Duties will include coverage of all sports covered by The Herald-Times, a 2007 APSE Top 10 sports section in the
    under-40,000 circulation category.

Qualifications: exceptional reporting and writing skills, experience in page layout and excellent computer skills. Commitment to accuracy and strong people skills. Must work well as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment and
    be willing to experiment. Knowledge of Readership Institute principles a plus.

To apply: Submit resume and work samples by April 16 to: The Herald-Times, Attn: HR Director, P.O. Box 909,
    Bloomington, IN 47402.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I've always liked Bloomington. Great college town. It's been a few years since I've been through and seen the paper, but I remember being impressed.

How many sports staffers?

3. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

We currently have a sports editor (who also covers Indiana football and writes columns about Indiana basketball), an IU basketball beat reporter (me) and a high school reporter. We've also got two part-time reporters who cover primarily high schools. We also have three desk guys. When a new hire is made, the department will be restructured slightly based on a few factors, one of which will be the specific skills and interests the new person brings.

4. sportswriter9247

sportswriter9247 New Member

What would be your interest in a May graduate?

5. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

We'll certainly consider May graduates who meet the job description.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Good luck with Crean...

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Is this posted on any job boards or just on here?

And you mention some page design work, but the department getting slightly restructured with the new person - does that mean that there may not be design work involved?

8. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

The ad will appear on the APSE job board soon.

There will be design work involved.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Korman is one of the more talented people I've been blessed to know. The successful candidate will enjoy working with him.

10. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Is there an email address that we can send stuff over to? Thanks.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree that would be nice; my printer is full of fail.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Odds are, if they didn't provide an e-mail address they prefer the hard copy. Don't complain; just do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted