1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Berkshire Record (MA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by superhater, Mar 25, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, it does state it clearly in the ad, so while it might not have been wrong, it was pointless and came across as condescending.

2. mythirdalt

mythirdalt Member

I started out in a yearly -- high school yearbook -- and have made it in the business.

Just the fact that this paper has survived and is under the same ownership as years ago is a good enough sign.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A gentle reminder that those accepting a job at a weekly will most likely be financially challenged.

Just sayin'. It's not a matter of shame; it is realistically a tough road to hoe.

4. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

That I can attest to. I've been working at a weekly for two years now and, well, let's just say I made more when I was working as a prison guard and as an exterminator while putting myself through school. When I interviewed for the job, the Managing Editor told me he was "embarrassed" by the amount of money he could offer.
    Still, with that said, the experience has been very valuable and a lot can be gotten out of working at a weekly. And really, how many of us are rolling in the dough in this industry?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can attest to that, $21K in a metro area didn't go far, even in 1998.

6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Before deciding on the lucrative world of print journalism, interned at a prestigious ad agency. Starting salary for new hires — $13K. In Boston. Massachusetts.
    Philosophy: "If these kids want an ad career badly enough, they'll take a night/weekend job waiting tables or bar tending to make ends meet."

7. TooOldForThis

TooOldForThis New Member

Sigh. This would be a total dream job for me in so many ways, and I would like to think the editor's inbox is filled with some great applicants.

Not even thinking so much of young'uns getting started in the business but, rather, older folks who have "been there, done that" with the daily deadlines, big city papers, competitive beats, etc. and (maybe out of work now) have different priorities or desires when it comes to continuing our lives in journalism.

Maybe they've got enough savings or the 401K from the jobs they've/we've lost with cutbacks squirreled away to be able to take a slightly lower salary in exchange for living in one of the most beautiful areas of the country, with less deadline pressure and more opportunity to write and make a difference in the community. And they remember, maybe, their own first jobs working on smaller local community papers and how much fun it was. My first job paid crap (I think I made $5K a year as a part-timer who actually worked full time) at a "bureau job" for a more major suburban daily, covering high schools and community sports but the two years in that bureau were among the best of my life.

If it were not for the fact that my spouse refuses to ever move anywhere colder than where we are now (southern part of the mid-Atlantic) and our next move will probably be west to be closer to the spawn (oh, and if I could actually do layout), I'd apply in a heartbeat and be thrilled to even be considered.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Berkshires are 2 1/2 hours from New York? By what means of transportation?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

TARDIS. Or Osprey.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Some Berkshire towns, you're 5 minutes from New York. 2-1/2 hours from Boston would be more accurate.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

But curiously, only 15 minutes from Tahoe ...

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I guess I got lucky.

I was offered substantially ($5K+) more at a local weekly than the local daily.

That was 16 months ago.

Two weeks ago, the daily laid off 10 people, mostly in the newsroom, including the guy who got the slot I was going for.

Draft saved Draft deleted