1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Berkshire Record (MA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by superhater, Mar 25, 2012.

1. superhater

superhater Member

From JJ.com. This was my first full-time gig many moons ago. Not a fantastic social scene if you're in your 20s and single, but it's a really, really good place for a new jack to learn the ropes. (PM me with any questions...paper is still under same ownership.)

-----------------

Company: The Berkshire Record
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 27, 2012
    Job ID: 1251019

Description:
    Award-winning weekly broadsheet weekly in western Massachusetts is seeking an experienced sports reporter able to juggle multiple assignments who is organized, self-motivated and is able to work quickly and accurately.

The position includes covering four high schools, laying out sports section as well as writing thought-provoking enterprise pieces, taking photos, writing compelling features .

Prior experience as a reporter preferred, but will consider recent college graduates with news reporting experience. Candidates must be highly motivated, hard-working, know AP style and InDesign. We prize those who can write well and can write the rest of the story. Need to have a car and a camera.

The Berkshires, 2 1/2 hours from New York and Boston, is in an area filled with lakes and hiking trails (the Appalachian Trail runs through it), skiing as well as being the regional homes for national arts, music, and dance companies. The population is a combination of life-long residents, those who have relocated from New York and Boston, and people who live in those cities and have weekend homes in the area.

The position is available now.
    E-mail resume and samples of your work if you fit the job description and are available to berkshirerecord@yahoo.com.

2. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Caution people. This is a weekly, not a daily.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Why does that matter? It's still a job in the biz you asshat.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's no disgrace in working at a weekly.

5. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

I didn't say it was a disgrace. But a weekly isn't for everybody. That's why I was pointing that out.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Your planted words "Caution people" tended toward it was a disgrace. Knock it off. Here and elsewhere. Your act is wearing thin. Just like all the other times.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The third word under the description probably would lead people to think this is not a daily paper.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

doodah, doodah.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Your avatar's wave seems appropriate.

10. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Was I wrong in trying to point out it was a weekly?

Weeklies (obviously) don't provide the same type of writing opportunities dailies do. They are more featurey and have relatively few gamers.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

While you don't face the same deadline pressure as writing for a daily, if you're a wordsmith, there are great opportunities out for interesting features you might not have time with at a small daily if you have to crank out a couple of stories per day, take calls, and do layout.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I always viewed the weekly life as much more challenging than working at a daily. There's something to be said about being able to make a mistake, dusting yourself off and getting back on the horse 24 hours later.

Draft saved Draft deleted