1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Beaumont Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

for a gig like this I don't think they're being rude by not letting every applicant know they struck out. I'm sure there are 50-plus resumes to sift through.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't think JD was expecting them to respond to everyone who sent in a resume, but to those who cleared enough hurdles to be called in to interview.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah. I drove in from another state. They had me fill out a form for mileage reimbursement. Never told me I didn't get the job. Never reimbursed me for driving there. That didn't seem professional to me.

I don't expect a notice for striking out, but if you bring me in for an all-day interview, yeah. I do.

Just sharing what happened to me in 2009. Like I said, there are some different managers there now.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Three writers and an SE is a pretty small staff for a city that size if they are paginating their own pages (which takes at least one body per shift).

5. Johnny Dangerously

And right now, if I'm not mistaken, it's two reporters and an interim SE? Some long days and nights there right now, I'm sure.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not so bad in the summer, with no minor league baseball team. Again, a big factor is whether you are doing your own pages or have them done on a universal desk or some off-site pagination hub.

Back when I was in Port Arthur years ago, guys from both places would go to Houston and cover games as time permitted. I suspect that's a thing of the past now.

7. Johnny Dangerously

I grew up reading the Beaumont Enterprise at the breakfast table. Much different paper -- and world -- back then. Fond memories of the guys on staff I got to know later, first as a ballplayer they covered, and then as someone breaking into the business. Heard some great stories about what it was like to work there in the late '60s and the '70s.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

They have a universal desk. Those four can all write.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, that certainly helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted