1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter at The Minot Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by peacer84, Sep 18, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

$25/hour for Wal-Mart is a bit of exaggeration, though I haven't been up there in about a year. You could easily make $13 or $14/hour doing jobs like that, though. My wife started at $13/hour at Wal-Mart there.

The pay at newspapers up there is better than you'd get at most rural papers of similar size, but nothing earth-shattering.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Things haven't changed since you left. $13-15 for regular entry level job at Wal-Mart, Taco John's ... etc.

Pay is a bit better at newspapers here but it is indeed bit. Think $1,000-2,000 more.

3. peacer84

peacer84 Member

Let's not get carried away here.

You guys are correct that jobs are paying a lot more around here, but our newspaper hasn't been affected that way (it would be different if the influx of oil had caused many more subscribers, and if the oil companies who have moved in bought any advertising).

But this isn't the case. FYI, drive into the Walmart and ask for a job that pays $13 bucks an hour. You may get laughed at. Wages have gone up, but not like that. Jobs that were paying $8 bucks an hour are maybe paying $10.50.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

In Minot that is probably the case. In Williston they are indeed making $13-15.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$15 an hour to work at Walmart?

My university education is being devalued.

6. peacer84

peacer84 Member

Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. Williston is much worse right now than Minot. It wouldn't surprise me if it was that bad. But in Minot, it hasn't gotten quite that bad. THough, it could be heading there.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know plenty of people who work in the Walmart Home Office who don't make close to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted