1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter at Odessa (Texas) American

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jps

jps Active Member

well said

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have yet to drink a dr pepper in joe allen's. not really an issue.

3. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

I interviewed for a News job in Odessa a looooong time ago, back when Gary Newsome (no relation) was the/one of the top editors. For you East Coast folks (I'm one of them), it's impossible to convey how vast and remote that part of the world is. One of the selling points is that Odessa is an hour by plane to Dallas.

One thing to consider is that with oil prices going through the roof, the area's economy might not be in such bad shape relative to other places. The place went through some tough times during the oil bust in the '80s when the price of oil was a nickel a barrel. With oil closing in on four digits, Odessa and Midland might be doing OK.

If you go, ask to see their Pulitzer. One of their photogs won the prize for his Baby Jessica photo.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks. that surely will help the four people who didn't read friday night lights.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but you're a girl. ;D

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Such things do exist in this profession.

Plus I hate how important HS football is in Texas.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

half the writers in texas wouldn't have jobs if high school football wasn't so important.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

oh, and this job in theory is very good. and you won't have to cover soccer thanks to gove.

9. maxprepsok

maxprepsok New Member

Can't cover soccer games? Screw that. Thought about looking into it, but not anymore.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

talk about a freakin' perk.

11. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

According to APSE Chris Gove isn't the SE anymore... "Odessa American � Promoted John Erfort to sports editor, replacing Chris Gove, who now works at the Idaho Press-Tribune in Nampa. ..." But I can't really tell if this is old or not, since Gove is still listed on the American Web site.

Link: http://apse.dallasnews.com/oct2000/14-15arnold.html

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

October 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.