1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Assistant Sports Editor [North Adams, MA]

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, Jul 28, 2008.

1. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

Any news on potential candidates and how the process is coming along?

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Well, since the job listing is a day old, I'm probably guessing resumes are still en route.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Interviews are in the process of being set up now, though. He's already emailed several prospective candidates.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Why would they limit themselves to New Englanders or people with ties to Massachusetts? Seems a silly thing to put in an ad.

5. outdoors

outdoors Member

Having known Glenn for years, I know they don't have any money to bring people in from too far away for interviews. They really believe in having in-person interviews, so they limit themselves to just candidates around the area. If you could pay your way out there, then you might be able to work around that.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I just figured it would be understood that someone from far away who wanted to interview there would have to pay his own way. It is, after all, small-town journalism.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

This job seems to come open a lot. Is it the salary that keeps people away or the quality of the paper

8. gosox

gosox New Member

This job may be open a lot but only because it's a steppingstone. I was here for two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sports community is great; good coaches, good kids and fans who really are in to athletics. The coverage is widespread, from high school to solid Div. 3 athletics (heck, GameDay filmed at Williams last year) to well-attended NECBL games (not a bad summer gig). And the area is nice, esp. williamstown and esp. if you enjoy the outdoors. Dunno the current staff well, but Im sure it's OK. I'd say a great job for someone in 20's looking to get a variety of on-the-job training (writing, editing, layout).

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And off-the-job training in Ramen preparation, second-job working and cardboard-box living.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pfffft. You can get that everywhere.

11. fast789

fast789 Guest

According to mapquest, 3 hours and 30 minutes from Boston - yikes.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

North Adams: About as far away as you can be from Boston but still be in the state of Massachusetts.

This is MNG. Part of a four-paper subdivision of MNG called NENI (New England Newspapers).

Draft saved Draft deleted