1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Ashland (Ohio) Times-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chad Conant, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Coverage of high school and youth sports is our bread-and-butter, and we’re looking for someone who knows the best stories are often on the local sandlots and at Y. The Ashland Times-Gazette is seeking a full-time sports writer. We cover nine high schools along with Ashland University, a NCAA Division II school, and occasionally cover professional sports in Cleveland and Ohio State football. This job is a mix of writing - game stories, features, columns — and occasionally working on the sports desk, so experience with Quark or InDesign is preferred. The Times-Gazette is a 12,500-circulation, six-day A.M. and is consistently recognized as one of the best newspapers of its size in Ohio. Ashland, a county seat and college town, is located in North Central Ohio, with both Cleveland and Columbus just a little more than an hour away. The application deadline is June 26, although the interviewing process will begin immediately. Send 6-8 samples of your work to Dusty Sloan, Sports Editor, Ashland Times-Gazette, 40 E. Second St, Ashland, OH 44805, or dsloan@times-gazette.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=429924

Any questions, ask away. I work there.

2. Can't vouch for Dusty or the paper but Chad is a great guy (I went to school with him) and, like I said the last time this paper had an opening, you'll have one of the world's great highway-exit gas station/eateries at your disposal.

Ashland, the World Headquarters of Nice People (don't take my word for it, take the sign's), is roughly 50 minutes from Cleveland and 1:10 from Columbus on I-71. Not a bad place.

3. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

What Darrell doesn't say is my brother once pissed on his Nintendo, apparently, when they were freshman roommates.

4. The funny thing was, it worked better after he took his leak on it.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How much of that is the paper's coverage philosophy, and how much is wishful thinking by Mr. Publisher?

6. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

A lot. Everyone's done a little league game this week, most weeks it's three or four.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We all know Chad's good people . . . he went to Ohio. :D

Can't speak about the paper, but Ashland's kind of a shithole, least it was when I spent a week incarcerated there at Girls State.

8. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Girls State's going on right now. Sure you aren't here, secretly pioning for the job sc?

9. sportschick

Hey, I remember Girls State . . . I wasn't allowed to talk to boys for like an entire week. I swore then that I'd never return to Ashland . . . pretty sure I've kept my promise. :D

10. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I had to drive past where Girls State is being held to cover a Legion game and swear one of the people overseeing the kids shot a glance at me to blame me for being male.

11. sportschick

They're terribly brutal about the boy thing. I felt bad for the college boys who worked at the cafeteria. We all tried to pick them up, and they could get expelled if they were caught talking to us.

It was AWFUL.

12. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Whoaaaa, slow down a sec... you and other girls were trying to pick up boys? Usually I find girls go out of their way to ignore guys, purposefully dancing amongst themselves on a dance floor to everyone to see but the moment any guy comes close, they turn their back. They'll do this even if they clearly are interested in a guy, just because that seems to be how girls are.

Now, in this place, there are girls trying to pick up guys? Is this the norm? If so, let us know where to go!!! :p :p :p

Draft saved Draft deleted