1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Arizona Daily Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hrwilson3, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For that pay, you might have to cover the pros in Phoenix on your own time just to get a decent meal.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The sad part is that the pay has actually improved immensely in recent years. Still, poverty with a view.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I remember asking about the circulation thing and getting shouted down about it about a year, year and a half ago. Which means this job was open about a year, year and a half ago, for what that's worth.

And NAU plays D-I, so there is some networking that could be done for a young reporter there.

4. the champ

the champ Member

I am still wondering, if anyone knows, where the SE is headed to.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Prescott.

6. the champ

the champ Member

Staying in the business?
    That doesn't seem like an upward move if so.

7. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

Yes this job was open pretty much one year ago, and no Prescott is not much of an upward move. If anything, city and location wise, it is a complete downward move, which should tell you something about the type of company the Sun is run by. Until 3 months ago I worked at the Chronicle in Page and I knew the Sun guys and needless to say they were under paid. I made about 20 percent more than them woking at a 4,000 circ. weekly. Flagstaff is amazing though. Beautiful college girls, great outdoors, five hours from Vegas and in the winter two hours at most from 60-70 degree weather. If you have $, or your parents will help you out, apply for this job. If you are just getting started, apply for this job. You will be under paid and over worked, but we all are, and you will be in a great city to drink away your broke sorrows.

8. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I would disagree with you, Lions. The job probably isn't an upward move, but I'd live in Prescott or Sedona over Flagstaff anytime. It's probably more expensive to live there over Flag, however, so overall, it's gotta be a lateral or downward move. But as far as the city and location goes, it's an upward move over Flag.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you think Nadda University girls are beautiful, don't go to Tempe. You obviously could not handle the glare.

10. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Agreed, and this is an NAU grad speaking. The selection in Flagstaff pales (literally) in comparison to what is roaming Mill Avenue on any given night.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

To say its a lateral or downward move may not be completely fair. Maybe the guy leaving is doing it for family reasons (wife got a better job, etc, etc) and they could end up doing better for themselves than at Flagstaff.

I don't know why he left. Just saying, putting a blanket assumption over it isn't right either.

12. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

I would agree, there can be many reasons why he left. When I was in AZ over the last year my publisher spoke with the Sun's all the time (they printed our paper) and they were worried they would get shut down. The Sun cut staff and instituted unpaid forloughs over the spring. The NBC station just closed up last October. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and Prescott is more stable. I know I would leave my current paper for a stable one anyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted