1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Arizona Daily Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hrwilson3, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Here you go, BYU. The entry is a little ways down on the second post.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/43742/

2. gloves28

gloves28 New Member

Anybody know how much this job might pay?

3. esport12

esport12 Member

don't know for sure but guessing around 25k

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

As they say, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So, if "no one cares" about NAU or the local schools, what the hell do they cover? I'd be shocked if they're staffing pros in Phoenix on a regular basis.

Did that 20 years on a paper 2 hours from a metro, but that was 20 years ago when the mindset was a lot different than it is today. Back then, it wasn't uncommon to do a prep feature, hop in the car and drive two hours, cover an NBA or major college game and drive back home and be asleep by 2:30 am.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They cover NAU and the local schools. I'm not saying NO ONE cares about those schools, but it's not a huge following by any means. When I was there, we did a lot more with the Phoenix pros than they do now. But that was because I (and others that were there) wanted the clips and experience more than anything. The ME didn't exactly encourage us to make the trip down the hill.

Now, your pro fix will have be satisifed when the Cards come to town for training camp.

As for the pay, closer to 22-23, not 25.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Cosmo, same with me. I never got overtime for it. It was more like "if you get your local stuff done first, you can go if you want to". Seems like more and more places won't let you do that anymore, even if you don't bill for it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And I wouldn't do it now, at this stage of my career. But as a 21, 22, 23 year old, heading to an NFL press box every other Sunday to cut my teeth was good experience.

9. the champ

the champ Member

Who left?
    The ad states a two-person staff, but last I heard it was three and there are three listed on the paper's site. What gives?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The sports editor left, and the ASE is likely to get the bump up. It was a three-person staff, unless the most recent hire got moved to news or something.

11. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Flagstaff is a really nice place

12. the champ

the champ Member

Where did the SE end up? Still in the business?

Draft saved Draft deleted