1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Arizona Daily Sun, Flagstaff

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MatthewMarcantonio, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Obviously the rental market is booming because of people who lost houses and have to live somewhere. Can you get a good deal buying a house there or is it still very pricey relatively speaking?

2. Azreous

Azreous New Member

I don't know about a good deal, per se, but home prices are the lowest they've been since 2004. The median price is still around $280k. The bang for your buck pales in comparison to a place like Phoenix, obviously, but it's at least an improvement.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can buy homes less than 10 years old in Phoenix for $60-70K. If you think you can commute from Phoenix, you're nuts, though.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Obviously Flagstaff is much more expensive. But in some places a mortgage payment may be half of what you'd pay to rent. Of course, getting credit is 95 percent of the battle.

5. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

I wonder who landed this gig. Anyone know?

6. Azreous

Azreous New Member

No one has yet. This is not surprising to folks who have been here for a while, because it took five months to hire a damn sports editor (essentially missing an entire fall prep season). For the time being, the sports editor is using a couple stringers. No telling how long it will be before the position is filled.

7. Azreous

Azreous New Member

So a quick update: After allowing it to be posted for more than month (which led to more than 50 applications and several follow-up phone calls), the corporate overlords have decided that this position will not be filled. Apparently we're going forward with a one-person sports desk with the occasional stringer. Good times.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One person to cover a FCS program and two high schools. Fun times for the SE at less than $30K per year.

9. writingump

writingump Member

Yet another example of how little respect sports is accorded at many newspapers.

10. Tellin' me dat's not normal? Got to get on my Ps and Qs.

11. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

A one-person sports staff. That blows.

Any idea if they plan on filling the position eventually?

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This shouldn't surprise me in this day and age, but it really does. I wonder if they plan on just letting this go until the fall. I can see some argument for not bothering to fill the spot now that summer's getting closer, but as a permanent situation the prospect of this just blows my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted