1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Argus Leader, Sioux Falls, S.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com today (Aug. 11)

Company: Argus Leader
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 15, 2006
    Job ID: 669971

Description:
    Are you driven to do the best possible work? Are you a team player? Are you ready to ask the tough questions and get the real stories? If you answered yes to those questions, the Argus Leader in Sioux Falls, S.D., might be looking for you. The Argus Leader is a Gannett newspaper based in South Dakota's largest city, with a daily circulation of 53,000 (75,000 weekends). We're looking for a sportswriter to help boost our recently expanded sports section. We have an opening for a beat writer to cover the state's first NCAA Division I athletic program. The writer will also be involved in projects such as minor-league sports (including the NBA Developmental League) and high school events. The job features a combination of game coverage, enterprise, feature writing and columns. Please send resumes to Eric Bursch, Argus Leader sports editor, P.O. Box 5034, Sioux Falls, S.D., 57117-5034.

2. This doesn't seem that bad of a gig. I wonder how many years of experience they'll be looking for.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

With South Dakota State transitioning to Division I (and I assume USD wouldn't be far behind, seing as NDSU and UND have both moved up, too), there's the potential for a lot of interesting work on this beat. Sorry, can't help with specifics, but covering fledgling programs with ambition can be fun.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Plus, great mileage checks for drivng to Brookings and (soon) Vermillion.

5. collegewriter

collegewriter Member

Plenty of knowledge of this gig and this beat. Mail me for info.

6. North61

North61 Member

The paper is quality, at least from the random edition I picked up on my way back through there from vacation last month. I knew of people who used to work in SD and said that it was a good paper to work for and with the new D1 beat, it could provide some interesting coverage and good clips.

They hired a new ME a few months back and he's ok to work for, meaning he has a concept of a sports page but won't try to control it.

I just wonder about the quality of life living in SF. Hated driving through SD and it looks like you'd be pretty isolated. Minneapolis is hours away, but not sure of Omaha is a great alternative.

7. Pops

Pops Member

Too bad the job no longer is posted. Anyone know what's up?

8. collegewriter

collegewriter Member

Not sure where you got that info, but the ME has been in place for two years, and it is a she. EE has been there for 5 years. SE has been there for 2 1/2.

9. BH33

BH33 Member

I looked on journalismjobs.com today and it's still posted.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The quality of life in Sioux Falls is just fine. It's affordable, the crime rate is low and there's two universities in town (Augustana, U of SF). If you're the kind who thrives on nightlife, this might not be the gig for you, but it's a good paper with plenty of coverage opportunities. In addition to SD State's foray into DivI athletics, you also have Augie and USD clinging to the what's left of the North Central Conference and/or DivII. The NCC will be awfully lonely once North Dakota leaves next year.

Isolated? By coastal standards, maybe. Most of the towns of note in SoDak are along the I-29 corridor -- Sioux City, Vermillion, Sioux Falls and Brookings. Outside of that there's Pierre, Sturgis, Rapid City, Aberdeen, the Badlands and the Corn Palace.

11. Word is they're doing interviews for this one already.

12. North61

North61 Member

Oops. I meant NE. Sorry bout that. Was a late night post. Either way, he's still a good guy.

I know most of those towns are on the I29 corridor, but places like Rapid City/Sturgis/Badlands, if I remember right is a 4+ hour drive. I wouldn't be especially proud of the Corn Palace or Wall Drug - huge tourist traps. The Rapid City area was fine, but even that felt a little bit isolated. But that's south dakota in my opinion.

However, I do agree that it is a good paper with good coverage opps.

Also, the NCC is a decent football conference as far as D2 standards go. I don't think UND leaving will impact it severely. Like hockey, NCC football is regionally intense- I used to cover an NCC team and had a good time doing it. Hardcore Augie fans will always attend games.

Draft saved Draft deleted