1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter and then some...Sanford, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I shudder to think how much Red Bull it takes to ride herd on a Sunday edition for Sports and News.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Burnout could set in REAL quick for whoever gets this job. Probably rarely get a weekend off. Who would do sports on the days you do get off?

Oh the stories I could tell about Paxton. I've told a few on here. Feel free to PM if you'd like to hear them. I can't offer insight on this paper, but I can enlighten people on Paxton.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think you're supposed to have any days off in this job, Hank.

Any free time is supposed to be spent participating in community activities, as listed.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This paper isn't looking for quality, just someone to fill pages.

5. It's also pretty close to Pinehurst golf country. Lots of great Donald Ross golf courses. And Tobacco Road.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Evil, with this gig you wouldn't have time to play golf, let alone afford it.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Filled. No details more than that yet, though.

The Herald doesn't print on Mondays. Sundays off. Wheeeeeee!!!! (Well, unless there's something to cover.)

As for the golf, you might get to cover the 2014 Opens. I covered two Opens when I was there, but those were the good ol' days. An 8- or 4-page wrap around the main section, all the copy you could write, 100-hour work week with no complaints. Awards a-plenty.

Now, though? Not so sure. Especially with that lovely 830-9 deadline.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congrats. There's one born every minute.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That deadline is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted