1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Anchorage Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JB20, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It is now listed twice on Anchorage Daily News' jobs list. It was first posted on July 7 and again on July 31. What, no one wants to live in Anchorage?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We had a guy in our building — in a completely different department — go up there for a job recently.

I'm sure the scenery's great, but the whole "Summer solstice with 24 hours of functional daylight" would probably make me batshit crazy.

EDIT: In Barrow, Alaska (way, way north of Anchorage) the sun doesn't even fucking set for 84 days. Which means, I'm sure, that there's an extended period of darkness in that particular city come winter.

Again: That + me = batshit crazy.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You would think they have thicker blinds/curtains to help everyone sleep better, right?

4. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Theres no women in Alaska

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Then where do little Alaskans come from?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I almost took a job in Alaska once . . . I wound up in Montana instead. Probably about the same. And yes there are women there, but the ratio of men to women is totally in our favor. It was 4-to-1 last I read.

7. But on the plus side, you probably get to cover the Midnight Sun Baseball Classic:

http://www.goldpanners.com/midnight_sun_game.html

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

There's just something cool about a sports called "mountain running."

What do you do?

I'm fucking mountain runner, bitch. Go buy me a beer.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

They multiply by masterbation.

10. If you're single with no family and few close friends then this would be a perfect job. Grow a beard, buy a bunch of North Face...think of it as an adventure ;D

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

In that same vein, a close family friend of ours was a union organizer in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau for a year. Her first thoughts on Fairbanks? "All of the men in Fairbanks are either on the pipeline or on the run from something."

Still, she liked her time in Alaska.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I hear the housing is pretty affordable. [/obligatory Eskimo joke]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted