1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Anchorage Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JB20, Jul 21, 2006.

1. JB20

JB20 Member

Sports reporter
    The Anchorage Daily News, Alaska’s largest newspaper, is looking for an energetic sports writer to help us cover a broad sports scene that ranges from hockey and basketball to dog mushing and mountain running. We're looking for someone with at least five years' experience covering sports and recreational activities on a variety of levels at a quality daily newspaper. The reporter will handle a variety of assignments and must propose their own stories as well. Applicants must be reliably accurate, fair and thorough, have excellent news judgment, strong deadline-writing skills and be able to work collaboratively with editors, peers and visual journalists. A bachelor's degree is preferred. To apply, send resume, clips and a letter explaining why you’re the perfect candidate.

Applications are available Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the Anchorage Daily News front counter or send your resume to:

Anchorage Daily News
    Attn: Human Resources
    P. O. Box 149001
    Anchorage, AK 99514
    or e-mail to jobs@adn.com or fax 907-257-4472

The Anchorage Daily News is an Equal Opportunity Employer
    and welcomes a diversity in applicants.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love it...they want at least 5 years experience, and actually think such candidates might be close enough to stop by the front counter to pick up an application!

(My apologies if there's actually a very large number of veteran sportswriters in greater Anchorage looking for work.)

3. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Had a phone interview there in the mid-90s. Somehow, they weren't willing to fly me in for more discussion.

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Where was this posted?

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure the 75,000 daily readers love their dog mushing, but damn -- five years is a little steep. Do they do that so they can simply get people who REALLY want to move to Alaska? Or maybe they just have a candidate in mind from Juneau.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

You better hope they cover moving expenses.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My first job interview waaaay back in the day was by phone with the Ketchikan (AK) Daily News. They wouldn't fly me out either. Too bad, it sounded like a hell of an adventure and, at that young age when I was just starting out and wouldn't have even needed a U-Haul to move (all my worldly possessions fit in the Cherokee), I would have taken the gig.

8. This paper is at the center of a 1st amendement debate. Apparently, there was a shooting recently at a sportin event, which was being shot by this paper. Days later, the fuzz raided the offices looking for unpublished photos - so they could help ID the shooter. From what I understand, the po-po had to return everything wit ttheir tails bewteen their legs because federal law prohibits searchs of newsrooms (who knew?).

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/7960377p-7853774c.html

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It is listed on Anchorage Daily News' web site via the McClatchy Co.'s site. The posting of the job on Anchorage's site was on July 7

11. JB20

JB20 Member

I never saw it there. I saw it on the McClatchy job board.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I was mistaken. I had seen it and yes, you are right -- I've corrected my post from earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted