1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Alamogordo (N.M.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NMSportsGuy1986, Mar 5, 2018.

1. NMSportsGuy1986

NMSportsGuy1986 New Member

This was my position from 2010-13 and I still work in New Mexico for the same company. If you have any questions about the job, Alamogordo or the area sports scene, feel free to DM me.

Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Reporter

The Alamogordo Daily News is looking for an experienced sports reporter to join our team. Must be urgent, a quick learner, social media savvy and have a passion for storytelling. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with sports readers through social media.

Duties:
    • Provide sports coverage of our high schools in Otero and Lincoln Counties.
    • Work with the editor and other Texas and New Mexico editors to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
    • Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics. Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice for area sports coverage.
    • Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
    • Work with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
    • Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
    • Provide thoughtful analysis of sports issues.
    • Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
    • Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
    Requirements:
    • Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and
      education.
    • Internship or previous experience in the job duties preferred
    • Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
    • Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
    • Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
    • Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
    • Photo and video skills.
    • Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
    • Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly
      changing environment.
    When applying, please include links to a variety of clips - showing sports reporting and on different platforms.

What we Offer:

As a part of the USA Today Network-Tennessee, the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.

2. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

Peter, the guy who had been here for several years just left to take a job with the Odessa American in Odessa, Texas

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Atari landfill!

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

i actually called carlsbad a few days ago because i needed some information and i was told carlsbad had no one doing sports for the current argus.

Draft saved Draft deleted