1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter — Axios

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ondeadline, Dec 23, 2019.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Sports Reporter!

Why it Matters: Our Sports vertical has become one of our fastest growing coverage areas since launching in early 2019. Through the Axios Sports daily newsletter, we have been able to grow a highly engaged fan base around the world of Sports. Along with covering the daily news of the biggest sporting events, we also zoom out and tackle the intersection of tech, business, policy and media and how that affects the future of athletes, organizations, leagues and fans. As our Sports Reporter, you will be responsible for reporting on the big picture trends and data across all elements within the sports ecosystem.

The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:

• Demonstrated passion and experience writing, reporting or editing on sports
    • Positive attitude and ability to thrive in high-pressure news environments
    • Experience with beat reporting and column/newsletter writing
    • Familiarity and excitement in working with multiple teams
    • Willingness and ability to work flexible hours

Don’t forget:

• Competitive salary
    • Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
    • Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
    • Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
    • Company equity
    • Commuter and cell phone benefit
    • A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
    • Annual learning and development stipend
    Sports Reporter

2. Suggswriter

Suggswriter Member

Interested. Applied a few minutes ago.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I mean I get their deal, but even the job ad? C’mon.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

After perusing the Axios website, it doesn't look like there is any reporting involved - just aggregation.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is their first venture into hiring a sports reporter so up until this point it was just in-house stuff.

RonClements likes this.
  6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Good point and good question.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  7. mn67

mn67 New Member

Interviewed, but did not get the job. Seems like they've targeted their hire. Best of luck to whoever it is.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This job application asked to list your gender pronouns. Is this a normal thing now? Never seen that before

JM22720 and RonClements like this.
  9. ringer

ringer Active Member

Apparently, it's normal in California. Heard it for the first time last October when people were introducing themselves on a college campus. Boggled my mind. When it came to my turn, I just mentioned my favorite verb. (Nobody laughed.)

Draft saved Draft deleted