1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter – Silver City, N.M.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Aug 12, 2008.

1. outdoors

outdoors Member

Yeah, this position sucks. Went there for a brief time only because I really needed a paycheck and only stayed for a few months. I quickly left and couldn't be happier. Pay is terrible and the paper and company is terrible, as well. No OT and Las Cruces does all of the layout, so you never get to place stuff where you want it. Only three people work in the newsroom and Silver also has another paper in the Press that has been in town for over 100 years. People around the area are decent and the town is pretty good. The coverage is basically two high schools (three in the winter and spring) and WNMU, a division II college.

2. spud

spud Member

Like... total?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a bureau.

4. outdoors

outdoors Member

Yeah, three total. You have a bureau chief, news reporter, then sports reporter. Las Cruces runs everything from afar, so it makes getting a quality product out difficult.

5. satchmo

satchmo Member

Re: Sports reporter – Silver City, N.M.

Town is really cool. Very artsy vibe with lots of cool coffee shops and little restaurants.

6. danhawks

danhawks Member

Covered the bike race (Tour of the Gila) there twice. It's a cool place. It's closer to El Paso and Tucson than anywhere else. You do have to pass by Truth or Consequences, N.M. to get there from the ABQ. The Gila Wilderness is definitely that. It's one of the most remote places I've ever been.

7. outdoors

outdoors Member

The guy at the other paper in town ended up taking this job. We became good friends while I was there and I guess the other paper laid him off, so he had to work for the sun news. Tough times for sure.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hopefully he has a job at McDonald's to supplement his income.

Draft saved Draft deleted