1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter – Silver City, N.M.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This job was open in April. It's a bureau of the Las Cruces paper. I don't know if they filled it or froze the position. Pay was $10.50/hr back in April.

Company: Silver City Sun-News
    Position:
    SPORTS REPORTER
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 16, 2008
    Job ID: 963415

Description:
    SPORTS REPORTER: The Silver City Sun-News, a daily newspaper located near the Gila National Forest in beautiful southwestern New Mexico, is seeking a sports reporter.
    The successful candidate would cover prep and college sports, plus a plethora of outdoor activities. He/she must have the ability to multitask and possess strong organizational and communication skills.

A college degree in journalism or related field is required. Daily newspaper experience is preferred, however, candidates with weekly experience will be considered.

For consideration, please send resume, cover letter, including salary history/requirements, to Managing Editor Walt Rubel at wrubel@lcsun-news.com.

We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize and appreciate the benefits of diversity in the workplace. Those who share this belief or reflect a diverse background are encouraged to apply. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, spending account, 401K, and an opportunity for outstanding growth potential. Our concern is for the health and safety of our employees, therefore we offer a smoke-free work environment and conduct pre-employment drug testing.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This has to be a record, right?

Four New Mexico jobs open at once.

3. txscoop

txscoop Member

You beat me to it. What is going on in New Mexico?

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Aliens, man. Freaking aliens.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

That must be, what, half the papers in the state?

6. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

What's interesting is that these jobs haven't been filled yet. There's a lot of talent floating around the state looking for a home with the Trib closing earlier in the year and the New Mexican (SF) whacking a bunch of heads recently. True, anybody from those two papers would be stepping down some levels, but a paycheck sure beats the alternative.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Re: Sports reporter – Silver City, N.M.

I (heart) Silver City. The Gila wilderness is wonderful and not as crowded as northern NM outdoor destinations.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is there a bag containing $2 million in a locker at the train station, assuming I can get there before Cuba Gooding Jr., Rowan Atkinson, Breckin Meyer and Whoopi Goldberg?

9. satchmo

satchmo Member

Anyone who has actually been to Silver City (a much, much smaller town) finds that depiction of the town hilarious. According to IMDB, those scenes were shot somewhere in Nevada.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This job is posted again on Journalism Jobs. I don't know if they found anyone or not for the last two postings for this gig in the past year. The pay is horrible, but I don't know about the town or work conditions.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

The town is lovely if a little remote, but the pay is barely sustenance level.

12. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I'm making that much as a cashier right now...

Draft saved Draft deleted