1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Either this is the worst Sports Radio Thread ever, or we are convinced Sports Radio sucks and would rather talk about dropping balls.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Liut likes this.
  2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is this what Colin Cowherd has you thinking?

Doc Holliday and SFIND like this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday and JC like this.
  5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In the 55 or so years that I've followed baseball, I've NEVER seen an intentional miss in a situation like that. NEVER. So, baseball has been doing it wrong just about my entire life. Go ahead, Doc, rewrite the baseball book.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not for anything, but that Rockies coach didn't know that Syndergaard and Familia would be unhittable for three innings? Really? There may be valid reasons to take the out instead of the run, but not foreseeing that Syndergaard and Familia could be unhittable for three innings ain't one of them.

Hell, Mike Francesa said on Sports Radio (tying it back into the thread!) earlier that day that the Mets needed the game to go Harvey-Syndergaard-Familia and if anybody else pitches, they're going to lose.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Matt Holliday let a catchable foul ball go a long time ago ... just last year.
    Was tied 3-3 in the 12th with one out and a runner on third.

9. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

There's some real innumeracy going on here. Of *course* you don't see intentionally dropped foul balls to prevent a runner from scoring all that often. The situation in which it is a good idea is exceedingly rare.

There were only 16 total sacrifice fly foulballs in in 183,628 plate appearances in 2015. 15 in 2014. 13 in 2013. A situation in which a foul ball scores a runner happens less often than once in 10,000 plate appearances.

So only 15 times a year that this could even possibly come up. Now how many of those are on 0-1/0-2/1-1/1-2 counts in tie games against a Cy Young candidate? I don't have foul ball data for postseasons, but I would not be the least bit surprised if this situation has *never* come up in a postseason game before. So that you haven't seen it before, well that's a big duh.

If we're going to play argument on an appeal to authority -- one of my most hated argumentative fallacies -- I wager I'd win that one too.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

12th inning, a game-losing situation: drop it. 4th inning, game-tying situation: catch it.

studthug12 likes this.
  11. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

How deep an analysis.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong said:
    12th inning, a game-losing situation: drop it. 4th inning, game-tying situation: catch it.

DSzymborski,
    How deep an analysis.

Well, some of these things need simple explanations for people who just don't get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted