1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 26, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Runing All-Purpose Sports Radio Discussion Thread

I don't know if she is still doing a show, I was just thinking of shows I've enjoyed or hated and I always thought her show was awful so I mentioned it.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Runing All-Purpose Sports Radio Discussion Thread

Cool. :)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My all-time favorite local radio guy was the late Chris Thomas in Tampa/St. Pete. Talk about guys who didn't take themselves seriously. He filled in for Jim Rome once and I don't think the producers knew what to make of him, someone who wasn't into rants and "takes" just for the sake of blathering.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I can handle Patrick, but love the hour he does with Olbermann. Wish Olbermann could be his permanent co-host for all 3 hours, it'd be a much better show.
    Used to like Rome, but I grew out of him. Too much ass-kissing of guests and trashing them when they're off the air (kind of a Paul Finebaum model, for those of you in the South), and too repetitive with his "takes" that "suck" sometimes.
    Mike and Mike are way too smarmy for me, not that I'm ever up early enough to hear them.
    One guy that makes my ears bleed who no one has mentioned is Tommy Tighe, who does pregame/halftime for Westwood One/CBS' NFL and NCAA hoops broadcasts. Really know-it-all voice and works a pun into every third sentence, most of them cringeworthy.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Gotlieb just had Cowherd on his show. No verification that radios everywhere turned off in unison.

There was, however, confirmation that plenty of unflattering pictures of Cowherd exist on the internet. Gotlieb pointed this out to Colin. Wonder if Dougie was reading some SJ today. Ha :)

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rome's at his best when he just kind of goes off on a tangent and ignores sports for a few minutes. His "So-and-so thinks that's ____" joke that he's been using incessantly lately is annoying as hell, though.

Another good one is Andrew Sicilliano (sp?). His primary gig is VERY early mornings on FSR (maybe 3-8 a.m.), but he also seems to be on-call whenever somebody gets sick. He's filled in for Rome quite a bit, and I swear he's probably done a few 12-hour shifts as a fill-in host.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hockeybeat, I'll be needing a mailing address to send my therapist's bills. It should take a few sessions to cleanse my psyche of that image.

I agree with you. The tragedy of sports on radio is that there are legions of horrendous talk shows and very few game broadcasts...at least where I live. This morning, in the paper's "Sports On the Air" section of the agate page: no games and scads of talk shows.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Sports Babe has been off the air for six years now.

Todd Wright is so much better than Jason Smith it almost defies description. Smith comes off as completely phony in his stances on most issues - it's like he's reading out a "host by numbers" book on the air. ESPN's night time and weekend programming is largely unlistenable, although Coleman's at least not aggravating to listen to. Todd's on Sporting News Radio now from 10p to 2a eastern, and I try to catch his show when I've got a chance.

9. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Sweet Jebus, that's the strongest image I've ever heard anyone conjure up. Bravo, hockeybeat.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. nowhat

nowhat New Member

Does anyone know what happened to Papa Joe Chevalier?

11. papa joe was great. Another great host I cant find is arnie spanier

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What is also bad is some local shows that amount to "guy talk." Any show that talks about "man points" loses points with me. Which reminds me of another thing that's stupid about Mike and Mike: their "man-up questions."

Draft saved Draft deleted