1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 26, 2007.

1. "Yes, sir. Two grand slams and a liter of the house cola."

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ben Maller of Fox Sports Radio has just teased the story of Kobe's possibly getting a divorce from his wife, Vanessa.

Outside of CBS 2 in Los Angeles' website carrying the rumor, this is the first media coverage of the internet-generated (MediaTakeOut.com) 'report' that I have seen or heard.

Fox Sports Radio is located in Los Angeles. Given his geographical proximity to Bryant's residence, it's conceivable Maller could have something to add to the present speculation. His tease, however, seemed to imply he did not have anything to add and would simply be passing on the internet statements of MediaTakeOut.com.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ok, Maller added nothing substantive to the report, as I expected would be the case.

He did, however, say that the couple of LA TV stations which picked up the story have since killed it, for what that's worth. He also said that Vanessa would receive over $100 MM if the divorce were to occur.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Has Rome ever not been pleased with how an interview went? That d-bag spends more time talking about his interviews that he does actually interviewing. Then he spends even more time reading e-mails about how other people like his interviews.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add, Maller is too smart for ESPN to pluck away. He's a smartass, put callers in their place, and he's damn good in reporting rumors and a very good host on radio.

BTW, it's Big Ben!

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I love Ben. I have no idea why he hasn't risen further in the company yet. He is excellent, and the guy I look forward to listening to as much as anyone when I catch Fox Sports Radio.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

"Dear Pimp-in-the-Box:

Awesome interview with Jason Whitlock. Could that guy have been any more
    intelligent, well-spoken and informed on the subject of Michael Vick? That was
    probably one of the best interviews you have ever done. Excellent job. Out.

- Jeff in Richmond

War PETA
    War my 18+ inch guns"

Rome: Yeah, Whitlock was outstanding. I'm really happy with how that went. Great job, Jason.

"Dear Van Smack,

Epic interview with J-Dub. Perfect choice, having him as a guest host when you
    were on vacation. Please have him fill-in for you in the future.

- Vic in NoCal

War my calling my shot and then not showing up for the Smack-Off
    War the Cablinasian"

Rome: It's already booked, Vic. Jason really brought it to The Jungle today, didn't he? I'm not sure that spot could have gone any better.

. . .​

Rome: The email of the day is brought to you by StubHub: StubHub - Need great seats? Call StubHub, or logon to StubHub.com.

The email of the day goes to Jeff in Richmond (re-read Jeff's email detailing the incredible, unduplicatable interview with Whitlock).

...​

My guests today included Jason Whitlock...Jason came strong, pretty much verbally putting Mike Vick on his (*cough*) azz...

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Jorge Sedano, the talented young radio personality from Miami, has left the weekday Fox Sports Radio (FSR) "3rd Shift" overnight program to do more work with Miami's station 790 AM "The Ticket." Sedano also works as a Miami Heat television pre-game host, I believe. Sedano is still working on FSR as a host for one of the Sunday NFL discussion shows. I think his shift is 4-8 pm ET. Not sure how long his work with FSR will continue, but he is, IMO, a very intelligent and knowledgeable host. His understanding of the NBA is as good as any national-level daily radio host, not to mention his depth of information on the NFL, MLB, etc.

Sedano's spot has been filled by Ben Maller. Though I'm sad to see Sedano leave, Maller is a guy who has deserved more airtime for quite awhile. Maller is affable, a very quick-thinker, self-effacing and also very informed. Really happy he is getting the chance.

Definitely wish the best for both Sedano and Maller in their new roles.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

insightful and well thought out.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You guys can decide what the dumberst thing I heard on my rainy, trafficy commute this morning was (paraphrases from memory):

Steve Phillips - The Brewers have shown tremendous heart in staying tied for the lead despite going just 24-31 since the all star break.

Eliot Spitzer - Today will be a day of silence, except for all of the words that we will say, and the clanging of construction.

11. Except Bobby V is as much of a house man for his pals in the coaching set as Vitale ever was.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You know who's been respectable in that slot in a fil-in basis? Scott Van Pelt. No historonics, composed and best of all for ESPN, he's in house. Linda Cohn has also filled in, usually with a co-host, and hasn't been terrible either, but I don't know if I can take her solo 5-days a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted