1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports producer, al.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Jun 20, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is a Newhouse product. The Web sites are virtually all the same.
    al.com looks a lot like nj.com looks a lot like pennlive.com etc. etc. etc.

2. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I'm not sure if the pay/benefits is the same as the newspaper division. This is an Advance Internet venture. I know for sure that they are really pushing their new high school sports platform (it launched for the 07-08 school year) across all sites, which, yes, have a bit of a cookie-cutter look to them.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I interviewed for this gig, or at least one extremely similar, two years ago. At that time, they wanted you to start the workday early, as in before 5 a.m. early, in order to upload stories from that day's editions. That changed for football Saturday's, when you would be working a split shift in order to handle all the Bama and Auburn copy coming your way. The person who got the gig got two consecutive weekdays off (I forget which two.) Decently generous pay, especially considering that Alabama is a cheap place to live.

The site is owned by Newhouse, but truly thinks of itslf as independent from the Big 3 papers, and has extra content not affiliated with them. (What they don't realize is that nobody in the real world sees them that way.) The office is not at the B'ham News, but in a cool little building east of downtown, a renovated Dr Pepper plant.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dr Pepper plant? Paging IJAG.....

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's actually a real cool building. Got to love a place with a Mexican restaurant/bar one floor below.

6. the_bank

the_bank New Member

If any of you guys want to know about this job, PM me.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Is this the same job just a different title?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=829681

Company: al.com
    Position: Senior Producer for Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 31, 2009
    Job ID: 829681

Description:
    al.com is looking for a Senior Producer for Sports.

The Senior Producer for Sports is responsible for overseeing production and editorial activities of all sports sections on al.com. The Senior Producer will direct day-to-day sports production and be actively involved in updating the site.

The Senior Producer will work closely with affiliate newspapers, build special-report packages, update e-mail newsletters, help manage bloggers, create photo galleries, monitor news wires and discussion forums, oversee audio and video production and direct the al.com high school sports network.

Additionally, the Senior Producer should have strong social media skills and have a strong understanding of search engine optimization.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be the boss of the first guy ...

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The Rockbottom Pipeline tells us that this job is within a week of being decided on, and they are not accepting any more resumes.

RB

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn that was fast.

11. Rockbottom

Riddick, I am pretty certain the job in question has actually been posted for a few months now.

rb

12. Rockbottom

From what we understand now, this job remains open and is still accepting applications. They have recently told a few potential finalists "no thanks".

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted