1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports personality (Mariotti) arrested on suspicion of felony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. We're losing sight of the big picture. Mariotti had a girlfriend?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can think of a few arrests that were met with more glee - OJ in Vegas, Vandersloot in Peru, Sadaam in Iraq, KSM in Afghanistan, Madoff in New York, Polanski in Switzerland, Paris Hilton and Lohan in L.A., where the hell has DL been hiding?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

$50,000 bail is nothing really to sneeze at.

There is ZERO excuse to hit a woman.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

My guess is greenwell's from RI.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yes. Meaning, in my neck of the woods, "felony domestic violence" is a pretty serious deal. You wouldn't get charged with it just for a loud argument, or if someone punched someone else, or if it was a first offense. If he had priors, everyone would probably be mentioning it on this thread, so the fact that Mariotti has seemingly jumped straight into a felony offense is surprising to me, and suggests he did something fairly serious.

From a random defense attorney website:

Site is here. That's kind of why I was asking if any more details about the incident had come out.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Whitlock and Dan Steinberg posted some of Jay's stories about athletes in trouble. Everyone ruined their life by being selfish and spoiled and should rot in jail.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sorry, but that no longer is true. Not in this day when some of the women at the gym could kick my ass w/out breaking a sweat.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For this to be a felony, wouldn't a weapon have to be involved?

I covered an athlete who beat the shit out of his wife and it was a misdemeanor.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it was too much to ask folks to ease off on the schaudenfreude throttle until there was a verdict.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Would Mariotti?

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Of course not. But that doesn't mean we have to act like Napoleon II.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I believe what goes around comes around, and whether he did it or not, I can completely understand why people can be giddy about this. He's one of the few guys who couldn't afford to slip this badly. Other guys might have been able to get back on their feet, but Mariotti will not.

Draft saved Draft deleted