1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports personality (Mariotti) arrested on suspicion of felony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I wonder what the hell happened. Rhode Island has really lax domestic violence laws - You basically have to be arrested for your third domestic, seriously injure someone or use a weapon for it to be a felony. Any details yet on what he, allegedly of course, did?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't care if it's fake. That's funny.

Does it surprise anyone he hit a woman? If he took a swing at pretty much any man on the planet he'd get his ass kicked.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I hate to be this guy, but, seriously, Mariotti is innocent until proven guilty.

Let's say he and his girlfriend got into an argument, she hits him. He grabs her arm to keep from hitting him again. Cops see the marks on her and Mariotti is tossed into the clink for hitting her, even if he didn't.

It happened in that other case, it was recent but I can't remember the names.

These cases are no win for guys. If he hit her, he's in jail. If he physically kept her from hitting him again, he's in jail. If he curls up into the fetal position and takes the ass kicking, he's a pussy.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ah bullshit

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, because so often the cops weigh in on the side of the "aggressive" female partner when determining fault in domestic cases. It has to be pretty bad for them to charge with a felony. Consider what OJ got away with out there for years.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Here, and I don't know if it's a state law or local law -- and don't have any reason to think I'll ever find out -- if the cops get called out to a domestic, some HAS to go to jail.

Obviously, 99.9 percent of the time it's the guy. I know a dude personally that spent a night in the can. His wife went upside his head with a laptop, then called the cops. Because he's 275 or so and she's 130, the cops took him in via the emergency room to get stitches.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Jay F--you make a good point, but anyone who has dealt with Mariotti's inappropriate rage and temper tantrums probably won't give him the benefit of the doubt.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe Jay meant he wanted to fight Mrs. Rick Telander that day upstairs at Wrigley Field a few years back rather than Rick himself.

I'm concerned though: A repentant, scrambling-for-the-shreds-of-his-career Mariotti would be even more insufferable than the smug, rip-everyone-else's-screwups version we've been living with.

Seems like he's cooked, regardless of any guilt/innocence: He has to de-fang himself going forward, to avoid looking like a hypocrite. Yet if Mariotti isn't slicing and dicing, what use is he at all? Any attempts at sensitivity and empathy in his work would be thoroughly phony.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Not sure what Rhode Island has to do with any of this, since Mariotti was arrested in Los Angeles.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

1. Moddy doesn't write for Fanhouse.
    2. Zippy chance he's gonna comment on this, especially here. Fanhouse released a statement. Just a guess that that's all you're gonna hear from them for a while.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LeBatard's statement is as close to a defense as anyone's offered for Mariotti.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which says more about Mariotti than it does those ripping him.

Ebert used the arrest as a reason to repost his farewell column when Mariotti left the Sun-Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted