1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/writer, Martinsburg, WVa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

JKelly, he's just jerking your chain. Obviously you're never going to get to a major metro daily if you're not willing to put yourself out there. I applied to 125 papers a few months ago after I graduated and was trying to get picked up quickly. Out of all of that work, I got two interviews and two job offers. If I hadn't put myself out there, I'd either be unemployed or working at Circuit Shitty.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Someone with more than a decade in the business, who has any thought to having/providing for a family, who makes less than 25K, regardless of the market, is not successful. In a way, that person might be clogging the works for someone who could use the mid 20s to gain skills that would be put to use at different places.

3. ... and making more money.

4. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Not successful, Editude? I already have a family and I'm providing for them just fine. In fact, family is the reason I'm where I am now. I moved south assuming the in-laws would be along in a few months, since they'd already built a house down here. Now, two years later, they're still up north and not even close to selling their old house. I've been an SE at a daily and I'm content - for now - just writing and doing a little layout here and there. I'm hardly "clogging up the works" and our current SE would undoubtedly agree. It's not all about getting your clips and moving up the ladder. But hey, thanks for judging me without knowing me. Clearly you're the epitome of success. Keep those pearls of wisdom coming.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah. Can we please continue our discussion on the quality strip clubs in Martinsburg? :)

Lap dances make the world go round.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Don't they have a Colonial-themed strip joint up there called Ye Olde Teats and Arse?

(Sorry, stolen from the Oblongs.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

I'll just say this....I seriously doubt Musselman High School has any trouble recruiting athletes.

8. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread. I wholeheartedly agree, the strip joints of Martinsburg (or anywhere else) are a much more compelling topic. I just felt compelled to defend myself when Editude interjected himself in the discussion between TP and I and made it personal.

9. JackReacher

Quoting the famous (or is it infamous?) Seth Burton, "Ain't nothing wrong with crossing the fence and enjoying a few of Martinsburg's finest."

I'm guessing anyone interested in this job should send their shit in quickly.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

We just didn't get a "Seth Burton" reference thrown at us, did we? Phenomenal!!!!

11. JackReacher

You better effing believe it! If he wasn't making eight figures and banging Hollywood's hottest celebs, there's no doubt Mr. Burton would jump at this gig.

12. dsg155

dsg155 Member

wwdd is right on with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted