1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/writer, Martinsburg, WVa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=958977

The Journal in Martinsburg, W.Va., is seeking a talented page designer and diligent copy editor to join our five-person sports staff. Although the position is primarily desk work, writing opportunities are available. Quark experience is desired, but design experience is a must. The Journal, part of the Ogden Newspapers group, is located in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle, less than two hours from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Please e-mail design samples/writing samples to Sports Editor Jeff Nations at jnations@journal-news.net or mail to The Journal, 207 West King St., Martinsburg, WV 25401.

Pretty sure circulation is right under or at 20,000.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

FWIW, I've heard good things about Jeff Nations.

3. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Anyone with any questions about this job, please send me a personal message.
    This is a very good job for someone just out of college. There's not much to do in Martinsburg, but you will get lots of opportunities. Jeff Nations is a very good boss and will get you many different experiences that will likely include some WVU football opportunities.
    They say circ. is around 25k and I never had any reason not to believe them. The paper is a big deal in the community.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Don't believe everything you hear. That goes double for newspaper circulation figures.

JOURNAL, MARTINSBURG (BERKELEY CO.) SUN DLY 18,226
    JOURNAL, MARTINSBURG (BERKELEY CO.) SAT M DLY 17,898
    JOURNAL, MARTINSBURG (BERKELEY CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 18,012

5. be prepared to be paid peanuts, even though it's a good situation.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Is that the same "Jeff Nations" that was at the Winchester Star a few years back?

If so, he's decent peeps.

7. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

By "peanuts," what kind of money are we actually talking about? It's all relative in this industry right now.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That is, in fact, the same Jeff Nations. Good peeps, indeed.

And I disagree that there's nothing to do in Martinsburg. There are about 12 strip clubs within four miles of each other. Oh, and Piggy's is right down the road on the W.Va.-Va. border.

My application is sooo in the mail.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I miss Piggy's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

I miss Legz. And Vixens. And The Huddle Club. And the Golden Horseshoe. Oh, and the Millennium Club.

They each played a small part in my 21st birthday. And most Saturdays.

11. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Good bet on salary would be $25k. Maybe a little better. This is definitely a position for recent grads.

12. JackReacher

After bills and such, not much of that $25K salary would be left over for lap dances, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted