1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Page Designer, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, May 8, 2008.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000 circulation paper in our nation's capital, is looking for a creative page designer who can help maintain our high standards for journalism design while being a part of a fast-paced sports department. Candidates should have an eye for good design, while being able to adjust to breaking news and tight deadlines.

Responsibilities for this position include design of inside pages and occasional specialty pages and sports section fronts. Candidates should be familiar with such applications as Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop and QuarkXpress. Copy editing experience is a plus.

Working nights and weekends is required. The candidates should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

If you're interested, please submit cover letter, resume and portfolio (up to 10 pages ) to:

Mark Hartsell
    Sports Editor
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C. 20002

Any questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail: jtaylor@washingtontimes.com

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm not applying, but I've always been curious what the No. 2 paper (like the Washington Times, Boston Herald, etc...) in big cities pay sports copy editors/designers. Anybody got a ballpark figure? Just curious.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Is this the same opening from a few months back, or a different one?

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Pallister I'm not sure if the Feds would let you within 100 miles of D.C.

A background check will be required, at a minimum.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Good point.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This at least used to be a safe place to work, because the Moonies didn't mind pouring money into it. Then they laid a bunch of people off a few weeks ago.

And depending on your opinion of such things, this is either a plus or a minus: No preps.

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

This is basically the same opening (though at the time we were advertising for two folks). We had narrowed down the pool of candidates, and none of them worked out for various reasons. So we're re-opening the search for a page designer.

Draft saved Draft deleted