1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Page Designer, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Sep 15, 2007.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Howdy folks, we have a few updates to share.

We have hired three new copy editors, including one guy, Drew, with some pages experience. We should have all of them in the office by the start of next week. This is great news, considering we were down quite a few people on the desk as we were starting our busiest time of the year.

That leaves us with one more opening -- the one advertised in this thread. We're looking for someone who can design the front page two or three nights each week, handle specialty pages or advance projects. ... and yes, work alongside the great Harrison Goodman.

We already have received a number of resumes but would love to see some more. We're going to dive back into the stack next week and start figuring out who we want to talk to. So if you've been meaning to apply, and haven't, you should!

Any more questions, please let me know.

2. We get this paper in my office (Assistant Secretary level, Federal government). It's one of my bosses favorites and has a nice sports page going for it.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ferrill's racking up some mileage.
    Month in Myrtle Beach before about 8 in D.C. Now on to South Florida.

4. Haven't seen printed version of this paper in a couple years. How does it look?

5. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Pretty good if I say so myself. But you may want others to weigh in, they may be a bit more objective.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know the sports section looks good. Haven't seen the rest of the paper.

7. VJ

VJ Member

I'm biased, but I think it looks pretty good, although there's certainly lots of room for improvement. We're certainly not locked into lots of things and have undergone a decent amount of change in the last few years in how the section is put together but content-wise and visually. Hopefully they're improvements -- unless you happen to like In The Bleachers. ???

Draft saved Draft deleted