1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Page Designer, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Sep 15, 2007.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000 circulation daily newspaper in our nation's capitol, is seeking a creative page designer to work in our award-winning sports department. We are looking for someone who can help maintain our high standards for journalism design while being a part of a fast-paced sports department.

Our coverage area includes a variety of Division I colleges and professional teams, including the Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, Wizards, D.C. United, Georgetown and the University of Maryland.

Candidates should have an eye for good design, while being able to adjust to breaking news and tight deadlines.

Responsibilities for this position include design of the Sports cover two or three nights a week, daily inside pages and occasional special pages and projects. Night and weekend work required.

Candidates should be familiar with such applications as Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop and QuarkXpress.

Questions about the job? Contact:

Harrison Goodman, Assistant Sports Editor/Design
    hgoodman@washingtontimes.com
    (202) 636-3263

or

John Taylor, Assistant Sports Editor
    jtaylor@washingtontimes.com
    (202)636-3237

Submit cover letter, resume and portfolio (up to 10 pages ) to:

Mark Hartsell
    Sports Editor
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C., 20002

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hey John, what happened to that copy editor position? Is it still open?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Again, Harrison Goodman is a kick-ass designer and one of the good guys in this business. If I were single, I'd be all over this in a heartbeat. Definite Doc Seal of Approval here, folks.

4. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Howdy folks.

Copy editor position is still open. There are a couple of them open actually, and we'd like at least one of the people we hire to have some pagination skills.

This opening is new and unrelated; we just had one of our main designers (not Harrison) give his notice yesterday, he's bound for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Needless to say, this means we have a few openings approaching the busiest time of the year. ... so we'd like to find some talented, motivated folks and move fast to fill these positions.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And I'll reiterate again that I believe this is an underrated paper. It's not my favorite paper to look at per se, but I enjoy reading it because there always seems to be something different and good in there.

6. VJ

VJ Member

To echo what John said, there's plenty of work to go around right now so I wouldn't worry about being stuck on inside pages shifts for five days a week. If anything we'd like the right candidate to be doing the front and helping to work on advance projects for most of the week. If there's any questions, feel free to email or PM or whatever.

And thanks for the kind, yet false, compliments, Good Doctor. I'm actually just an average designer and a jackass.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I still wonder about the pay. I've heard that, for the price of living there and the size of the paper, that the pay isn't that good. I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

John's somewhat addressed this in past posts.

Knowing friends who live in the D.C. area, I can tell you that there always are plenty of people looking for roommates and the like.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The question hasn't been asked yet, so: Who left?

10. VJ

VJ Member

The offices are located on the edge of the MD/DC border, so you're probably better off living outside the city anyway. Not only is it cheaper, but it's an easier commute than driving with rush hour traffic leaving the city (trust me). The job definitely pays enough to live by yourself, maybe not in downtown DC but in plenty of nice areas.
    Brandon Ferrill, he accepted a job with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

11. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Is this still open? C'mon folks, somebody seriously needs to move to DC and work alongside the greatness that is Harrison Goodman.

Just don't make fun of Jack Bauer in front of him, or your ass is grass.

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

According to the thread for the Daily Progress opening in Charlottesville, Drew Hansen is headed from C'ville to the Times. Don't know for sure that it's this position, but I'd assume so.

Draft saved Draft deleted