1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/reporter, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 3, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Judging upon the reviews I read on her, I'm happy to hear that. Especially considering I've heard nothing optimistic.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wait a minute. To the real Martinsville experts, there is a SE AND a writer?

I always thought it was a one-man shop, for some reason.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

TWO writers. It's a three-man army.

Area's depressing as shit, the ACC is tantilizingly close but you'll never cover it, and you won't ever get to leave Henry County, even if your one remaining team travels for the playoffs. COL is pretty low, and at least you're reasonably close to moderately-sized areas like the Piedmont Triad and Roanoke, but I know people with horror stories about unpaid OT, horrible leadership and dismal working conditions, and unless something dramatic has happened in the last year or so, you'll probably be a good candidate for more.

And I was told by multiple sources that one of the people who SE'd there was run out in part because he wanted to redesign the section, and they didn't approve of anything that broke from their incredibly ugly layout -- even though they told him the section was his and he could make design changes when they brought him on.

Caveat emperor, as always.

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Bingo.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

One theme I get from the jobs board is to avoid any job posing that has a question leed.

Or ones that start with, "Get paid to watch sports."

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No need to mention her name. She's still there. As I said in an earlier post, nothing has changed.

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

You mean lede. But you're also fencing yourself in. That's like saying you can't write a lede that's more than 25 words (an old Gannett proverb) or start a sentence with "And" or "But." Too limiting.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's funny and reminds me of my collegiate paper. The EIC and ME praised the book as if it was their Bible. If our ledes were over 30 words, we had to story given back to us and told to make it shorter or it wouldn't go in the paper.

9. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

"unpaid OT, horrible leadership and dismal working conditions"

Huh. Sounds like a newspaper job.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My copy editor has been wanting to string me up by my toes this week. Can't type for shit. I know what a lede is and how to spell it. I was just making a sweeping generalization on the question lede (though they do annoy the hell out of me). Two minutes later I saw the Bristol ad, which led with a question, and I've always liked that paper. And I'm not one that's afraid to start a sentence with an article.

I do stand behind by cautionary tale of those ads that start with, "Get paid to watch sports."

11. Famous last words.

I was there only a year ago. Thankfully I had good advice from a few people much older and wiser than I. You may feel desperate now, but you'll only feel worse after jumping into a shitty job and wasting a good six months-year of your life while treading water as far as career advancement. Three weeks isn't squat in the big scheme of things. Hell, three-months isn't squat compared to the rest of your life.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

goplay, where did you go after Martinsville?

Draft saved Draft deleted