1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/reporter, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 3, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

How's the SE?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Depends on what you think of yourself.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ha. Oh man.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Dime? You might want to lower your expectations to a few pennies, maybe a nickel, at this gig.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

After reading through the past several threads about Martinsville, I expected to see your name appear on this thread. Looks like Johnny Buck is now the SE, but I know nothing about him. He was quite prompt in emailing me back, though.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Don't know Johnny Buck, but it seems as though he's stuck it out in Mville for quite some time. Must be one resilient motha.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'd like to say; maybe he's turned that paper around a bit, but I'm not giving my hopes up.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I know many an editor who tried to the do the same thing and were either run out of there or threw up their own hands in disgust and called it a day. More power to JB if neither has happened to him....yet.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Other than the newspaper itself; how's the area? Poverty stricken or a nice place to live?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

chief, SEs never turn a paper around ... ever. it's beyond the scope of the job description.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That is true. Learned that mistake a long time ago when I used to work for my "fearless" collegiate newspaper and an EIC who cried and ran into the advertising manager's office on a daily basis and cry out her misery.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Johnny's a good guy to work for. He's easy-going and a fun guy. And he does a pretty good job of shielding the writers from dealing with the management folk too much. This is actually his second tour as SE, and he looks to be there for a while, which should help with establishing some consistency in the department.
    The pay isn't great, but it is dirt-cheap to live there. I took a pay cut when I moved there from my previous stop, but still ended up in the black.
    I know this might seem like a 180 from my previous posts on this place, but most of those were in regard to the SE position. The SE position there is not desirable, but if Johnny is willing to jump on that grenade, then more power to him. And a writer here, working for Johnny, could do pretty well for him/herself.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted