1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer, Gastonia, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Dec 18, 2006.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Company: Gaston Gazette
    Position: Page Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 29, 2006
    Job ID: 705632

Description:
    The Gaston Gazette, an award-winning newspaper in suburban Charlotte, N.C., is looking for an ace page designer who's familiar with both Quark and PhotoShop. The Gazette is a routine winner of national APSE contests, boasts a staff of 10 and is producer of the nationally syndicated NASCAR This Week, a page available to all papers in the US and Canada. The Gazette staffs every NASCAR race, Carolina Panthers home and road games, as well as NBA, college football and basketball and extensive high school sports coverage.

To apply, please send an email which includes a cover letter, resume and recent clips to dmoss@link.freedom.com or mail to Gaston Gazette, attn: Sports Editor Derick Moss, PO Box 1538, Gastonia, NC 28053.

This was posted on journalismjobs.com Nov. 24, but I haven't read anything on here. If you have any questions, I can provide details. I left to take the ASE job in Bakersfield.

2. Kable

Kable Member

Man, that sounds like a great opportunity. I live in Raleigh, so I can see myself doing that. However, I haven't designed anything in my life. I just got Quark, and I'm feeling my way around it right now. Plus, I mostly write articles.

If you wouldn't mind someone that's learning Quark, I could send my stuff in today. I might have applied for that job, but I'm not sure. I seem to apply for a lot of jobs these days. :)

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

They already have one pet project on staff. I know they're looking for someone with experience.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We get a canned NASCAR page from Gaston every week.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

As I understand it, that canned page pretty much pays the freight for the section, if not the paper. Monte Dutton, despite being a ukelele/guitar/whatever the fuck he plays player of dubious distinction, brings in a good chunk of revenue with that weekly page. It allows Gastonia to play at a higher level than a 29K daily/32K Sunday paper would be expected to.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I used to read that NASCAR section every week, and it was OK. Sometimes I wish Monte Dutton, who is very, very knowledgable on the sport :eek:, would report more on NASCAR trends and issues, instead of just doing a feature story every week. There's plenty more going on in the pits than that section would have you believe.

7. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

I know Gastonia appreciates you paying for that canned section. I know it paid for my salary along with the other eight full-time guys on staff. Not many papers of that size can say they have that. Also, the Charlotte Observer/McClatchy has the same section 'That's Racin' and I've been told it's twice as expensive.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1518805
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/job_listing.cfm?JobID=1518805&printf=Y

| Home | Openings in Newspapers/Wires
    August 8, 2013

Company: Gaston Gazette
    Position:
    Interested in sports AND design?
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    September 12, 2013
    Job ID: 1518805

Description:
    Page designer/copy editor: The Gazette, a Halifax Media Group newspaper, seeks a talented combination copy editor/page designer. An interest in Sports page design is preferred. We are looking for someone who can transform our content into eye-catching packages that will both entertain and inform the reader. There is lots of opportunity to be creative, sophisticated and innovative in design. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, enterprising and able to juggle several assignments at once. Applicants must be proficient in InDesign and Photoshop, Illustrator is a plus. Send your resume and five examples of your work to Human Resources Director at msmith@gastongazette.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted