1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/copy editor, Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dob23, Aug 18, 2008.

1. dob23

dob23 New Member

Sports Page Designer/Copy Editor

The Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig, a 23,000-circulation paper, is seeking a sports page designer/copy editor. We are looking for someone who can edit and design our award-winning section. There is some news side work required in the summer, but this is primarily a sports position. QuarkXPress experience is required. Prior daily newspaper experience is preferred, but we will consider recent graduates.

The Herald-Whig publishes in the afternoon Monday through Friday, and in the morning Saturday and Sunday. Quincy has a population of 40,000 and sits on the banks of the Mississippi River in West-Central Illinois, two hours north of St. Louis. We are heavy into local coverage. We cover more than 40 high schools and four colleges in Illinois and Missouri.

To apply, send a resume and clips to Sports Editor Don O’Brien at dobrien@whig.com, or by mail at 130 S. Fifth St., Quincy, IL 62301. The Herald-Whig is an equal opportunity employer.

2. dworthington

dworthington New Member

what is the pay?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If it's above 25k, I'm wrong about everything.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

You may not be wrong about everything, but I'm pretty certain you're wrong on this one. I'd be very surprised if it's below 25K.

5. Quincy is my hometown and I worked for this paper during high school. O'Brien is a first-class SE and Matt Schuckman, one of the writers, is awesome. This is a fun department with great people. PM with any questions about the paper, the staff or the community.

6. dob23

dob23 New Member

As far as the salary question, last person who had the job made just short of $30K. He was fresh out of college.

Thanks for the interest.

Don O'Brien
    Sports Editor
    Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

Draft saved Draft deleted