1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/copy editor, Kailua-Kona, HI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports page designer/copy editor West Hawaii Today, a 12,000-circulation daily newspaper on the Big Island of Hawaii, has an opening on its sports staff for a page designer/copy editor. We’re looking for someone with strong news judgment who can write clever headlines and lay out clean, eye-catching pages. The ideal candidate must also have strong knowledge of AP style and show attention to detail with respect to fact-checking and proofreading the sports section. The position will require some writing, which includes handling of game results from area coaches, briefs and agate. Other reporting opportunities will arise, but the most of responsibilities involve page design and copy editing. Our two biggest events are the Mistubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai, the season-opening event for the Champions Tour, and the Ford Ironman World Championship. However, most of our local coverage focuses on prep sports at 17 island high schools. Full-time hourly position with annual wages from $40,000 up, good benefits and a good working environment in Hawaii. Applications will be solicited until Dec. 14. E-mail resume, design samples, clips and reference material to: jferraro@westhawaiitoday.com Please e-mail a cover letter, a resume and design/writing samples to sports@westhawaiitoday.com, or send them via mail to: West Hawaii Today, Attn: Sports Editor, P.O. Box 789, Kailua-Kona, HI 96745.

2. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I'm not going to apply for this one this time. This job is reserved for me after I die and go to Heaven.

Hawaii: One of maybe two places I've been in my life where I could stay and never come home.

My next question: $40K to work at a 12K circ? I know, I know, cost of living on the islands.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Exactly. Kona is on the resort side of the Big Island, so it's going to be more spendy than the rain-soaked east side. Still, as living in Hawaii goes, the Big Island is probably the most affordable.

There's good people at the WHT, including Joe. Bobby Command was one of them, too, but I understand he's resigned and moved on to better things.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bobby Command is gone (I believe he works in the mayor's office now), but I can speak for Joe. I am the one vacating this job and he has been great in my all too brief time there. He was quite willing to let me get out and cover some really cool events and always took into account the things he thought I would enjoy covering (which meant a lot of time spent on golf carts in Hawaii ... not too shabby).

PM me for details.

I can't recommend this job enough.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Why you leaving then? And is the pay enough to make a decent living there?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Bigpern started a thread a couple weeks ago and I'd bet that's the reason he's moving.

No, it's not bad news.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled by the healthy salary...Hawaii is costly. Still, good to see the paper making it at least possible to get by.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The islands are not for everyone and certainly not me.

I spent two weeks there in college with three fraternity brothers during a Christmas holiday (Oahu and one day flight each to Maui and Lihue, never visited the big island, not sure why in retrospect) but by Day 8 or 9 I was pining for God's Time Zone.

Island fever is real, kids. Haven't been back since.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No personal experience, but from what I hear, it can be difficult to get a job off the islands once you live there. (I know, I know, why would you ever leave?)

Imagine having to make a 3,000-mile flight just to get to an interview. Think many places are gonna cover the cost of that? Think many of those are gonna cover moving costs?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A valid concern. Can't do much about the interviews, but the key to keeping down moving costs is to not take much stuff with you to the islands.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bingo, Hank.

I know I made the right decision leave this job, but damn, if it wasn't hard.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Any word on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted