1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports page designer/copy editor , Jacksonville, N.C

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com
    Company is listed as FENC

We’re looking for a sports page designer/copy editor with the skill and versatility needed to produce compelling sports and news pages on a consolidated desk serving three daily newspapers in coastal North Carolina. Work with a team in an environment that encourages innovation in page design and expects competence in editing, headline writing and news judgment. Experience in a daily newsroom is preferred, but entry level candidates with the right background will be considered. Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus. The copy desk is located in Jacksonville, N.C., just minutes from Atlantic Ocean beaches. We offer competitive pay and excellent benefits, plus the rewards in scheduling that come with working in a large team. To apply, send a resume, cover letter and work samples to Richard Clark, Copy Desk Chief, PO Box 196, Jacksonville NC 28541-0196; or by e-mail to rclark@freedomenc.com.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I believe Rick Scoppe just took over as SE there. Good guy.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow, is that right? Rick used to be with AP in Columbia and his wife was a reporter for The State.

4. freedom has these papers up for sale, right? or am i getting that confused with cox selling rocky mount?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cox has its three North Carolina properties - Greenville, Rocky Mount and Elizabeth City - for sale.

Freedom is stable - at least as of this posting. Stay tuned, though ... who knows anymore?

6. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Last I heard, he was based in Columbia covering the Gamecocks for The Greenville News and his wife worked with the editorial pages at The State.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

They've been in Columbia a long time. Cindy, Rick's wife, used to be a government reporter for The State. She was a good one. I ddn't know Rick had switched over to sports. Is it true that he's the new SE in Jville? I was surprised by that post since I didn't think he'd ever leave Columbia.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I knew nothing of Rick moving to Jacksonville until I saw the post. If he is moving to the Old North State, he must be working a notice.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/SPORTS0102/80925038/1001/NEWS

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Last day was this Thursday. Didn't cover the Gamecocks game on Saturday.

Good. For. Him. He's headed close to home. A great move for him and a good hire for the NC folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted