1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer — Little Rock, AR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jason Yates, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This also happened to me when I relocated to Daytona. A bit of a different scenario but the gist was the same. Low man on totem pole = don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

2. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

For the record, there were 2 people laid off in sports. One was the Deputy SE, who had been there for 25 years, and the other indeed was one of two people hired a few months ago. The recent hire who was laid off was NOT the one from GateHouse. Also, if you've ever worked for GateHouse, you'd understand the mismanagement going on there and lack of respect for employees. They are chronically understaffed, and although jobs appear to be safe there because of all the work, at some point, the design center bubble will burst. There are layoffs all across that company.

3. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

Salty. Congrats on surviving layoffs.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just curious, the guy that was laid off who was hired a few months ago ... was he a local hire or did he leave a job, pack up and move from out of the area for this job, only to have it yanked from him in a few months?

I think that's the most pertinent question, not whether he came from Gatehouse.

Twirling Time likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is yes

6. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

What's unfortunate about this type of situation is that places make you repay a portion of relocation money (if they even give you any) if you leave within a certain window, but there's no similar agreement going the other way.

Draft saved Draft deleted