1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer — Little Rock, AR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jason Yates, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

If you love sports, love page designing and copy editing, and love the print newspaper, this is the place for you.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette — the statewide newspaper located in Little Rock with a daily circulation of about 140,000 and Sunday of 240,000 — is seeking a talented page designer/copy editor for its sports department.

The primary duty is designing eye-catching, clean pages. A typical shift consists of designing three pages on average. Stories are edited by copy editors and moved to the page designers with a headline written in the specs requested. Designers are encouraged to create breakouts and other entry points when warranted to enhance the reader’s experience.

The secondary duty is copy editing. Our copy editors put a read on stories for accuracy and style, then create a headline to entice readers. Copy editors also peruse the wire to pull national stories, create briefs packages and other duties.

Our designers and editors also have the opportunity to write on occasion.

Applicants should have strong design skills and experience with Adobe InDesign, a commitment to accuracy and the ability to meet deadlines.

Experienced and entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. Out-of-state candidates will be considered.

Little Rock is the capital city of Arkansas with a population of nearly 600,000 in the metro area. There are plenty of entertainment options inside the city, and various state parks and outdoor activities are within an hour’s drive. The area has a little something for everyone.

Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and 3 to 5 design samples to Assistant Sports Editor Jason Yates at jyates@arkansasonline.com or mail your material to 121 E. Capitol Ave., Little Rock AR, 72201, attention Jason Yates. References will be needed upon request. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did Hall and Krupsaw finally retire?

3. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

Both are still kicking.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or 12 fewer than I'm designing today. Sign me the fuck up.

Jason Yates and Riptide like this.
  5. CuppaJoe2222

CuppaJoe2222 New Member

What would the pay range be for this position, and is it negotiable?

6. Jason Yates

Jason Yates New Member

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And a little more than two months after hiring, the position was eliminated in a round of layoffs.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Special place in hell reserved ...

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, ask the Tronc papers for a PowerPoint on how to do that. They're good at it, too.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is almost no chance I'm relocating at this stage in my life. But any offer to relocate would literally have to come with a contract of guaranteed employment for X years (until age 62, or 65).

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I've had decent dealings with the people in Little Rock, but I have to ask the question. If you think there may be layoffs ahead, even a remote possibility... why the hell would you advertise for help wanted?

I don't know where their candidate came from, but if he or she was outside Little Rock that's an apartment they have to find... expenses to pay... and now you've eliminated their job?

This isn't an attack on the Dem-Gazette. This is any company.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

If that hire was who I think it was, he came from GateHouse's design studio in Austin. Can't fault anyone for wanting to leave GateHouse, but at least the jobs there probably will be around for a while simply because of the company's buying spree and willingness to take on outsourced work.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening over the past 10 years or so, and with a relocation involved it goes beyond garden-variety cost-cutting/layoffs and into the realm of corporate cruelty.

Draft saved Draft deleted