1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/outdoors writer-columnist in Port Angeles, Wash.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from jj.com

Company: Peninsula Daily News
    Position: Sports/outdoors writer-columnist
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    February 21, 2012
    Job ID: 1313454

Description:

The North Olympic Peninsula of Washington state has it all for the sports and outdoors writer -- the Olympic Mountains, river and saltwater fishing for salmon, steelhead and huge Dungeness crab, alpine hiking, hunting, skiing and snow play in Olympic National Park at Port Angeles' doorstep -- and prep teams that include a newly crowned state football champion and the Northwest's community college soccer powerhouse.

So this position with the Peninsula Daily News is an ideal opportunity for an up-and-coming writer who enjoys it all. Not only does this position include sports reporting but an outdoors column twice a week and some page designing, pagination and sports wire responsibilities alongside the sports editor.

Peninsula Daily News is a community-minded, family-focused six-day newspaper (15,862 Monday through Friday; 17,572 Sunday) and Web enterprise (more than 1 million page views monthly) that is the dominant news and advertising provider for the two-county North Olympic Peninsula. Port Angeles gets half the rainfall of Seattle, is just a 90-minute ferry ride from Victoria, British Columbia, and enjoys a North Olympic Peninsula fan base that also follows Seattle-area professional and university teams.

This position is in our main newsroom in Port Angeles, although there is plenty of opportunity to get out and about in Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks and environs. This is essentially a daytime position with evening work on game nights in a Tuesday through Saturday shift. Because an in-person visit is required, applicants from the Northwest and West are preferred.

We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package as the daily newspaper of Washington state's largest newspaper group, Sound Publishing Inc. (http://www.soundpublishing.com).

The successful candidate will show good writing skills in both reporting and sports column-writing styles, some knowledge of page design, headline writing and InDesign pagination and be personable since this is one of our newsroom's top public contact positions. Knowledge of football, baseball, basketball and soccer are essential.

Please email resume with a detailed cover letter addressing how you fit our above requirements, plus samples of your writing and page layouts (PDFs preferred for layouts, simple text for writing) to Sports Editor Brad LaBrie at brad.labrie@peninsuladailynews.com. Our mailing address is Peninsula Daily News, P.O. Box 1330, Port Angeles, WA 98362. (Street address: 305 W. First St.)

Questions about the job can be directed to Brad at 360-417-3525. Fax is 360-417-3521.

2. mschube33

mschube33 New Member

This is my old job. I recently decided to move on and take a position at the Lincoln Journal Star in Nebraska.

This is certainly a great opportunity for anyone looking to break into the business. There are nine high schools to cover and loads of outdoor activities, many of which you get to participate in yourself. The area is beautiful and there are more than enough stories to tell. The sports department essentially operates as its own paper, so you will be given plenty of freedom to do the job as you see fit. You also will get a chance to design pages and edit copy as the Sunday page editor.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the paper was also recently sold. The new owners moved print operations across the water to Everett, altering the print deadlines from 11 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day. Obviously, this means you'll have to be a little creative with your sports coverage.

Good luck,
    Matt Schubert

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Got caught in a Stephen King-like fog once in Sequim. It was so think, I initially thought there was a large fire. It was like a solid wall of white.

One of the strangest things I've seen.

4. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

Who's on the Twilight beat?

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Matt. Not interested in this opening, but once upon a time, inquired about a desk opening at the PDN. I believe the copy desk chief I talked to passed away a few years ago.

And that's a pretty drastic change in deadlines. Whoever gets this gig will almost have to take a weekly newspaper approach to prep sports. But you're right, the outdoors opportunities are tremendous.

Best of luck to you at the Lincoln paper -- quite a step up!

6. carstensm

carstensm New Member

Just applied. Am from Seattle, but never ventured out to the Peninsula. Hopefully I can finally get out of corporate hell!

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interviewed there years ago. Small town that feels further away from civilization than it actually is. A ferry ride from Victoria, BC, but definitely a small-town feel. No colleges in the area, so it was primarily high schools, rec leagues, youth leagues, etc.

I heard about the sale, but a 5:30 p.m. deadline? That's insane, might as well be a PM paper. Oh, well, at least you can get the paper out and high-tail it to Safeco Field in time for the bottom of the second.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This job has popped up again

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1313454

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

You would not be able to get to Seattle in less than 2 1/2 hours because you need to take at least one ferry boat.

Would be great if you like the outdoors as Olympic National Park is right next door, but don't ever expect to cover any Seattle or UW team (unless they perhaps do it on their own time). You can basically say you are closer to Canada than Seattle and Victoria is worth a few trips.

10. Wallace

Wallace Guest

I worked for Sound Publishing for almost four years before I left the field last year, feel free to PM me with any questions...they are an...interesting company to work for.

Draft saved Draft deleted