1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports or news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Jan 16, 2008.

1. housejd

housejd Member

Thanks to those who offered advice. I appreciate the insight. And wicked, not sure what you meant by "brief journalism career" as I certainly expect to be working in this field for a very long time. I'm at four years thus far.

I've worked in both news and sports collegiately and professionally, and I'm just saying this is a story I would have assigned to a sportswriter. Mostly because he or she would have understood the situation better and written a more complete story. I wholeheartedly believe in assigned stories to the best fit reporter, and the fact sports wasn't even considered, I felt, was a slight to us.

Feel free to mock me for asking for some insight, as I feel some of you had. Just be glad to know there's young people out there willing to learn and ask for guidance at times. We're going be the ones that eventually replace you, so I see no reason for cynical jabs at young reporters trying to learn.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If this place imparts no other wisdom, it's that your journalism career is unlikely to be long. Tides are a-changin'. And, yeah, you'll probably replace us at some point. You'll be cheaper. And in 10 years, some young stud will replace you.

Of course, Brad Renfro got out of journalism, and look where he ended up.

As for the story, I'd have covered it with a sports reporter, then decided where it would be best played.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

housejd, the slam wasn't meant at you. It was meant at the business. You'll probably get laid off by 30, walk away and won't look back.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Excellent advice, and truthful.

Your news editor should have communicated with you about the meeting and asked for your input, no matter which section ended up with the story.

Lack of communication in an industry based on communication is a major problem in many organizations.

5. bdh02

bdh02 Member

Seems like something that's best covered by a sportswriter and then put in the news section.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've never had News swoop in and cover a sports story "their" way. ;)

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

In my shop people are trying to pawn stuff off onto sports. This morning I had to explain that just because ESPN carries the National Spelling Bee, a local bee is not a sports event. ::)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

have you ever bothered explaining what the E in ESPN stands for?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are you going to go talk to athletes/coaches and get their take for a sports story?

Maybe find out who takes book on campus and get his take?

Whaddya gonna do to actually show that sports can do better?

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No, I spent more time explaining the L in Lazy-ass Social Editor.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that works, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted