1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening - Jasper, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SouthernStyle, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

The Daily Mountain Eagle newspaper in Jasper, AL, circulation 11,500 is seeking a sports reporter. The reporter will cover community, high school and junior college sports. The ideal candidate will have page design experience using QuarkXpress and photographic skills. Prefer candidates with 1-2 years of professional experience, but will consider recent grads with the right combination of drive, talent and experience. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible and interviews will begin immediately. Applicants should email a resume, work samples and a letter explaining their interest to james.phillips@mountaineagle.com or fax material to (205) 221-6203, attn: James Phillips. For more information on the position, call (205) 221-2840 to speak to Managing Editor James Phillips or Sports Editor Johnathan Bentley.
    03/31/09

2. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

This is a seven-day daily, and the sports editor is a nice guy.

3. times38

times38 Member

ME's good people too. Don't know the sports editor.

4. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

Any idea about the pay for this job?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

6. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

How low? Below $25,000? Do newspapers expect all reporters to be single and live in boarding houses?

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

I'd say $25,000, maybe a little higher. The last guy drove an hour from Hartselle to Jasper every day. He worked there for at least three years, so it couldn't have been that bad.

As said before, the SE and ME here are good people. The paper does have its flaws. It's needed a redesign since 1995, and the workload on a two-man staff is always heavy. This would be a good job for a recent grad or youngster.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

At least you have an interstate connection with both Birmingham and Memphis now, with I-22 nearing completion on the Birmingham end.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Single? Yes. Boarding houses? Maybe.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

25 grand puts you in the top 25 percent of many towns in Walker County...

11. times38

times38 Member

if I had to guess I'd say it's lower than that. this is the type of job for someone straight out of college with no attachments.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Recession hitting pretty hard, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted