1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening in St. George

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by s.utah insider, Mar 28, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

St. George seems to be a nice little town. Vegas and the national parks are nearby. Zion and Bryce N.P.s are outstanding.

Driving through the Virgin River Gorge in windy conditions is not fun.

That's all I got.

2. esport12

esport12 Member

anyone know anything about their preps?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Four high schools in St. George now. A couple of more in outlying areas, one is 3A and another is 1A.

Two high schools in Cedar City.

4. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Any word on the status of this one? Sounds like a pretty decent opportunity to me - a D-II school (plus a D-I 50 miles away), plenty of preps, and...only a half an hour to Mesquite and a little under two to Las Vegas. Can't really go wrong.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Interviewed there a few years back, and I'll second that there's good folks in that newsroom. But ... Gannett, Gannett, Gannett.

6. They're down to their final candidates for this position.

7. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Of course, that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where you're coming from. Gotta figure that every company's going to have its pluses and minuses — it just comes down to which company's minuses are more tolerable, I guess.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Good point, but a recent purging of 3,000 jobs is a huge minus. This job is right for someone, but the layoffs, furloughs and things like the Local Information Centers (or whatever they were called) should factor into anyone's decision heavily.

Like I said, great people there, and if you can stand 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity in places like Mississippi, then 115 in St. George is doable, IMO.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm wondering why any Gannett property has the green light to hire at a time when they are doing massive downsizing.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You still have to get the news out. There are still job opening on Gannett's Web site.

11. This one's over, folks.

My man John Renshaw, longtime Salt Lake Tribune freelancer, got the gig. Good luck to John, who did a ton of fine work in SLC.

12. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

The Spectrum did well with that hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted