1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening in St. George

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by s.utah insider, Mar 28, 2009.

1. s.utah insider

s.utah insider New Member

The Spectrum & Daily News, a 25,000 circulation newspaper in Southern Utah, is looking for a full-time sports reporter based in the St. George area, whose responsibilities would include coverage of local prep sports and Dixie State (our Division II college in town), and page layout (we use In Design) an average of about two to three times per week, depending on what's going on. Those interested please sent portfolios containing no more than five clips to:

David Cordero
    The Spectrum & Daily News
    275 E. Saint George Blvd.
    St. George, UT 84770

Emails are welcome as well to dcordero@thespectrum.com

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

An outstanding place to live if you're of the outdoorsy persuasion. There are some very good people who work at the paper as well.

3. Dillon Panther

Dillon Panther New Member

Don't forget scorching summers, mild winters and great golf courses. Really nice place to live, although a bit on the pricey side compared with other areas in the state.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is this a Gannett? I know I was interested in a position there some years ago, but it was too far removed from any friends or family. I would have been isolated in a lot of ways.

But I also would have been close to Vegas baby. If I was into Vegas that might have motivated me (it's about 2 hours if I remember right).

Plus, there's the Virgin River Gorge, which remains the most awe-inspiring stretch of Interstate Highway (I-15, if I'm remembering right) I've ever seen.

Questions: Does the Spectrum still do a Southern Utah beat (it's about 30-40 minutes away) and does it do anything with the big-time (relatively speaking) programs in northern Utah (namely, Utah and BYU)?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Daily News referred to in the initial post is the Cedar City paper. It's a separate publication, but it's paginated in St. George. I know that one of the sport writers in Cedar City would have to go down to St. George once a week for a desk shift.

And no it doesn't staff Utah or BYU games.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And by scorching summers, we're not talking 100 or 102. More like 115. But it is one of the fastest-growing areas in the country, if not the fastest (I can't remember off the top of my head).

And it's closer to Vegas (two hours) than it is to SLC (four). Not too far from the Grand Canyon. And, hell, less than six hours to L.A.

7. FreddiePatek

The great thing about driving to Vegas is that you cross a time zone. So, when driving to Vegas, it takes an hour. Driving home takes three hours.

But the bonus is driving through the Virgin River Gorge. I don't know if this is still the case, but for many years, that stretch of Interstate 15 was the single most expensive stretch of highway ever built.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought the most expensive stretch was I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, since a lot of it is elevated.

9. FreddiePatek

It would appear we're both right. According to Wiki, when it opened in 1973 the Virgin River Gorge stretch was the most expensive per mile. According to a Colorado government Web site, Glenwood Canyon was completed in 1992 to take the title ... but if the money was adjusted, I-15 would come out on top. There are some height changes on the VRG stretch too: From 2,800 to 700 and back up again, I believe. Both were built in the same way -- pounded into a canyon wall.

10. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

I think the most expensive to date is the H-3 through Oahu to Kaneohe.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

One thing I can attest to: They aren't prepared for rain. I'll leave it at that.

12. FreddiePatek

That's Hawaii. Don't count.
    ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted