1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening in Northeast Mississippi

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam Minichino, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Interviews have been taken place. I understand they are trying to fill it as soon as this week.

2. Adam Minichino

Adam Minichino New Member

Thanks for the kind words. Your checks are in the mail.
    A previous poster is correct, I have interviewed four people and am in the process of checking references. We plan to decide this week on candidate(s) to bring in for face-to-face interviews, and hope to move as quickly as possible.
    Thanks to everyone who has applied. I am trying to keep everyone updated.

3. Adam Minichino

Thanks to everyone who applied or e-mailed. We conducted four telephone interviews and were ready to bring two candidates in for meetings with the managing editor and publisher, but one individual had another offer and another declined the offer. The remaining applicants all have strong qualities, but we have decided to re-open the search in an attempt to get someone who has the skill set we need. If anyone thought about applying and missed the first go-around, please drop me an e-mail at aminichino@cdispatch.com.
    As always, I will answer any questions as honestly as I can. Like the first time, we will try to fill the position as quickly as possible. Thanks.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Adam, if you took the time to interview four candidates, one got another offer and the other declined, what was wrong with the other two guys? If they are as strong as you say , I'm just thinking here, what's wrong with offering them the position?

5. Adam Minichino

One had a salary demand that we weren't able to meet. The other individual made a comment about an area of his work that didn't give me confidence he would be able to do similar things at our paper. As in any hire, you hope to get the best possible fit, and I hope there is someone out there who is as versatile as the person we need.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Good luck with that, Adam. It's never a good time to fill a vacancy during the state basketball tournament.

7. Adam Minichino

Everyone, sorry the process took so long, and thank you for your interest. I wanted to let you know we have hired Gary Estwick to fill the position. Gary has worked at The Tennessee and in Akron and in Fresno, and brings a lot of experience and enthusiasm to the position.
    Thanks again for all of the interest in the position.
    Adam Minichino
    Sports Editor, The Dispatch

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That is one heck of a candidate. Congrats on the hire.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's just par for the course. I'm guessing the higher-ups at Columbus are like most everywhere else. They didn't mind if you waited to fill the position.
    Waiting long periods to make a hire in a sports dept. has been a process that I've seen over and over and over thru the years that I was in the business.
    Slots would stay open from 6 months to a year at some shops, and at the end of the day it meant there was one less salary being paid, which saved the company thousands.
    I've seen this before, and I'm confident the new guy will do fine with what is asked of him.
    There were probably 100 qualified people that applied and were equally able.
    Good luck to the lucky one that got it.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sounds like Adam could have hired someone six or eight weeks ago and held off for a better fit for his section.

Better to wait and make the correct hire, not the quick one.

Draft saved Draft deleted