1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports opening at a small paper just outside Memphis

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wallstreet58, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

No love for the greyhound track?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Bat, I am tonight.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Things I know about West Memphis:
    • It has a dog track
    • Two interstates run through the town
    • Arkansas's interstates are always under construction
    • It has a Krystal, the only one west of the Mississippi River
    • When driving through you can uphold the traditonal KKK meal of the South: Krystal and Krispy Kreme.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

I know someone who was there in news, got laid off, then got an offer with a significantly huge raise at another joint. Talk abuot a break. It used to be run by a ME whose idea of a front page centerpiece was the "Wreck of the Day." Just from a glance at the news, some of its writers are, should we say, challenged.

5. That is absolutely hilarious. If I were near Memphis right now, I'd have spit my sweet tea (iced tea plus half a box of sugar) all over the screen.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

BUZZ!

There is a Krystal in Denton, Texas and another in Far North Dallas.

7. satchmo

satchmo Member

Not to continue this further, but a quick check of Krystal.com shows a location in San Antonio — even farther west.

YHS,
    Satchmo

8. Football_Bat

Compliments on the proper usage of "further" and "farther."

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How the hell does this one-man-band have time to cover Arkansas when they have all those successful high schools that need a coverin, along with those eight junior highs...

10. Football_Bat

It's a Monday-Friday evening paper, which means from after the final whistle Friday night to bright and early Monday AM, you're free to cover what you want.

But 6 hours to Hogville ... fuck that. (The actual 'ville, not the website, Doogie. :) )

My ass would be covering UM, and I'd catch the Pigs in Little Rock the 2 times they play there. However, Arkansas State (Wazzup you-know-who?!?) is an easy drive and that is a program on the rise, but a bit of a drop from the SEC.

Plus, I'd mix in a Titans game or two. Nashville is only 200 miles from Memphis.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You're much closer to Nashville than Fayetteville, that's for sure.
    And I stand corrected on Krystal. It is, however, the last Krystal on I-40 if you are heading west. And maybe 55 as well. Since you soon hit White Castle country if you travel North.
    But I'm not going to the trouble of looking that up.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

This has got to be one of my pet peeves...

Every now and again, a job is posted that reads along the line of "We're a small but scrappy weekly looking for a hungry, aggressive young writer willing to cover everything from outdoors to state championships to everything in between. We have burgeoning youth leagues and high school teams that play in every state tournament almost every year. We're looking for someone who can give us not just game stories, but features, profiles, enterprise work and design an eye-catching section. The ideal candidate will be proficient in Quark, InDesign, digital photography, reporting, layout, agate, operating a press, CPR, spanish, astrology and poop-sculpting. There are also pro/college teams in the state if you want to go there on your off day."

This is kind of like when I was in high school, and my girlfriend made me sit through her school drama productions, listen to her awful poetry, pretend to like her godawful music, watch her little brother, help her dad on their farm and pay for dinner and movies. In return, I sometimes got to play with her boobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted