1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports-only AP service?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripthejacker, May 4, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Getty can charge a lot more than $99.
    Ever buy one of their historic TIME-LIFE photos?

(their price ranges take into consideration circulation size.)

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

You know I was thinking about this news service for sports and since you brought it up here is there enough people that would use a service like it?

Like the AP version just it did nothing but cover sports.

US Press Wire (www.uspresswire.com) I believe is a sports photo only news service. So the United Sports Press or USP an idea for a sports news service.
    Don't you need like 1000 or so reporters and photographers to cover every sporting event that happens around the US and possibly even internationally.

80 some bureau's to cover all the sports that happens. Now if it could be done would it be a good business and would newspapers and other media companies buy such a service?

3. ripthejacker

ripthejacker New Member

Our paper turned daily last January with the hope of beating out our already-established competitor in local news coverage. The editorial dept recently stopped running any AP content in the news section and sports is going to be the only section with wire stuff.
    Our paper's brass is dead set on the idea that the only way our paper will survive is if he give our readers something they can't get anywhere else - local coverage. So, the long answer to your question is yes, I think other papers will, if they haven't already, begin limiting national content in favor of saving space for local news to satisfy and build their readership.
    Sports, however, is an exeption and that's what we pitched as the reason for keeping AP in our section. National news makes up about half of our sports section and our readers, fantasy geeks and Bay Area honks simply wouldn't read our section if not for the national coverage.
    Another long answer, but if there were a sports-only wire service, we'd be all for it. It saves money and space. I'd assume there would be plenty other papers willing to do the same.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

To create such a service, I would think that the people who do take the first step in creating a Sports News Service would need the help of the newspaper business to make it work???? I know the AP and its clients work together to provide the coverage they provide?

I also think that the service would not use the same technology as the AP but more of a go to www.myusp.com and download the content you need. Much like the US Presswire does with the photos they provide?

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

PA Sportsticker is a sports-only news service.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have never heard or seen this news services used anywhere. Has anyone used them and I thought PA was the UK version of the AP or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted