1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports-only AP service?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripthejacker, May 4, 2007.

1. ripthejacker

ripthejacker New Member

We're looking to cut costs and limit our wire stories. Our news section has eliminated using AP all together and the paper's brass is looking for a sports-only wire service that covers sports as well as the AP.
    Does AP offer something like that or does anyone know how we can get what we're looking for?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

journalismjobs.com

You'll thank me later.

3. :D

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Never heard of one.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since your paper's brass obviously doesn't care if they get a story on a nuclear missile landing on New York, George W. Bush dropping dead from a heart attack, London being destroyed by a tidal wave or Moscow being conquered by aliens, why the fuck would they care about getting a 2nd Ld-Writethru on the Portland-Sacramento game?

And there are all sorts of 4th-grade kickball games that your readers really care about, that page space could be devoted to anyway.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've always thought of the Associated Press and their service to be superfluous.

7. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Depends on where you are and what you are looking for. I don't know of anybody who does exactly what the AP does, but folks like Scripps-Howard do a sports feature wire. And I work for a news service in Georgia that covers stuff like local colleges, the Braves, Falcons, NASCAR and most of the bigger national golf events. There are similar setups in Michigan (Booth) and Louisiana (Gannett), but I don't know if they offer their stuff by subscription to individual papers.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Thank you for dropping in, Mr. Small-Town Publisher.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know it exists, because we get it. It used to be called Megasports....Now, we get the feed from Stats.inc in Chicago.

And yes, it's cheaper than the full service, obviously.

You might want to call Stats.inc ... I'd give you the number, but my regular computer is down right now.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I don't think anyone has actually created a full on sports only specific news agency.
    It looks like there is a news agency on everything else including video games but no sports.

Someone should create Sports Press Inc.

11. ripthejacker

ripthejacker New Member

You guys know what Getty Images charges for a sports photos-only subscription?

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

MegaSports is a partnership with the AP and Stats Inc.

Getty charges $35-$99 a photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted