1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports on Earth writers and editors laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewJo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A new harvest of 20-somethings committed to channeling their inner-Chuck Klosterman?

Yeah. I think there'll be no shortage.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I assume Grantland and MMQB have access to ESPN and SI's design folks, servers and tech folks for things like posting flow, coding and troubleshooting. That infrastructure isn't the obstacle it once was but I don't think it should be ignored either. It has to help, especially in terms of profitability, cutting down on overhead costs that can be folded into the parent site.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know why that would be assumed when recent events have suggested the market won't support this type of journalism.
    The future is all about the mobile device.
    Not part of it, not some of it.
    Klostermann's viscous goo is not so easily consumable in the format.

4. What will be the ratio of profit NFL Now will earn compared to SOE or Grantland?

5. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm biased because he's one of my favorite writers. I think he sort of gets wrongly blamed anytime a young writer tries pulling off a Klosterman impression. Which is as misguided as blaming Gary Smith when you get mad reading someone at your local daily do a 3,000-word psychological dive on a JUCO QB.

That said, I don't quite understand why Klosterman wouldn't be popular on mobile devices. People will scroll down to read.

When he was at the Fargo paper, a lot of people didn't think readers would like him or that his writing translated well in a midwestern paper. It did, and readers liked him.

When he decided to write Fargo Rock City, people thought no one would care about the subject. It made his career.

Same thing when he started writing for magazines.

People like reading him. Not sure why having to read him on a phone would turn people off. He'll continue to be popular -- deservedly so, because I think he's still one of the most original writers and thinkers you'll read -- and continue to be hated by Mark Ames and others.

7. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Does anyone really have the attention span for Klosterman in a mobile world, though?

Not dismissing the thought at all, just asking. I think we're going to see more and more mobile content shift visual. Less text, more graphics, infographics, videos, moving images, etc. The emphasis will be on the easily-digestible.

I can see catching up on Klosterman's latest on a train ride, but as the demographics shift mobile and young, I also think we're talking about the crowd waiting for someone outside a college classroom, the guy waiting at the Apple store, the grocery check-out line. It's just hard to imagine this rapid-fire info-processing reality where Klosterman is a popular read, for me at least.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

One would also assume that the people who sell advertising for SI and ESPN also do so for Grantland and TheMMQB. That can't be ignored either.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think long form journalism is dead. But, I think it's something that over the next decade or so is going to largely be limited to magazines and websites.

Maybe I'm biased as a former features writer. I just don't see longform in newspapers much anymore, with the possible exception being some of the national papers.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe not as popular as he was prior to Twitter, but the novel ain't dead and neither are people who actually enjoy reading shit that takes more than two seconds to digest.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's not about ones biases.
    It's about the dictates of the market, and what it will bear.
    Yesterday I read a lengthy Grantland reappraisal of Tom Cruise's part in Magnolia.
    It was superb and it also checked in at 4,190 words.
    Two questions: Who has time for this on a daily basis? And was it really necessary?

12. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

And this is what I'm getting at, too. It's not what I/you want. It's not suggesting that the "premium" consumer is dead. It's not suggesting that there is no audience. It's about recognizing the shift in audience and being realistic about investment vs profit prospects for that kind of content.

I think, more and more so, you'll see the outlets that best balance critical and commercial success will likely have elements of longform/premium content AND elements of shortform/blogging/quick reaction/media-heavy/"digestible" content.

Draft saved Draft deleted